Chapter 6 - Popcorn

Dan

The long journey from Bridgend helped me to gather my thoughts. The trees whizzing by were almost calming, reminding me of the distance we were putting between us. But somehow, everything still managed to remind me of Leah. A little girl with the same shade of chesnut hair as Leah, a woman eating a bag of butterkist popcorn...

FLASHBACK

Leah barged in through the front door, not even bothering to knock. Some people might consider it rude, but the fact that she felt comfortable in my house made my heart flutter. She basically lived here!

"Alright smelly?" she teased.

"Me smelly? I knew you were on you way when you were at least 10 doors down!"

Her childish giggle made another flutter of warmth spread through my chest. She walked over to where I was sat, and plopped down on my lap in attempt to squish me. It was a pathetic attempt, if that. I began to tickle her, and she squirmed in my arms. Lifting her up over my shoulder, I carried her out the door.

"This is what happens to smelly things, you chuck them out".

The medolic laughter echoed through her skinny body, but as she started kicking my back I put her gently down on the ground.

"I swear, you're more of a wind up than James" she said, reminding me of James, her boyfriend.

The happiness within me disappeared quickly, leaving me with the urge to drive my fist through a wall.

"Come on," I said, changing the subject and grabbing her by the hand to lead her indoors. "Let's watch a film!"

"Mean Girls!"

"No Leah," I laughed, "No way".

She batted her eyelashes, and pouted her lips, and I just walked over to the DVD shelf and popped it in to the TV.

"You get the popcorn, go".

"Is it butterkist?" She asked innocently, I nodded and a huge grin stretched across her face. "Of course it is, you Dan Lewis know me too well," she said returning with the popcorn and planting herself on my lap, despite the spare room either side of me.

************************************

Before I knew it, my train was pulling into some London station that AB had instructed me to get off at. People were rushing everywhere, like bees in the hive, not resting even for a moment. This is why I'd come here, it was totally different to home, which meant that there were less things around to remind me of...her.

20 minutes later, AB strolled around the corner. Despite being the most sensible and organised member of the band, he was still nearly always late. His hair was perfectly pushed into a firm shape, and every button on his shirt was done up. The dark, skinny purple tie he wore was tucked tightly underneath his collar, and his tight, black, skinny jeans showed off his long legs.

I pulled him in to a man hug, I didn't care how desperate I sounded, but I needed to feel wanted at that particular moment in time.

"Wow Dan, contain yourself," AB joked, "I've forgotten my tissues, and you really don't want your mascara to run".

Despite the joke, I knew AB could see straight through me. He interrupted my obviously false laugh. I don't know why I even bothered, I couldn't even fill myself!

"Seriously, let's go! Jonny's waiting and we can talk about it in the car".

I didn't even have to ask to know that Jonny, AB's brother would be the one driving us. So I lifted my bag that I had placed on the floor, and walked alongside AB to his brothers shiny BMW.

Sliding into the cool leather seats in the back, I put my earphones in. Ed Sheeran's Small Bump began to sing out of the earphones. I wasn't quite ready to talk yet, especially with Jonny present. It wasn't that I disliked Jonny, or didn't even trust him, but that he was in a long term relationship. I hate the idea of relationships at the moment, and I don't want him to assume I dislike Sophie either. I'm a mess.

"So, how was school?" Jonny attempted to ignite a conversation in the silence that consumed the car.

"Great," I huffed, hoping he would take the hint that I didn't want to talk.

Apparently he did, as nearly immediately, he turned on the radio. This deeply frustrated me as the music playing in my ears was not the same as on the radio. Ed Sheeran would have to wait.

I must have drifted asleep at some point from the train station, even though the train station was only 20 minutes away. I was particularly thankful that I had not had any dreams, especially about Leah! Her face was beginning to haunt me, and her perfect features were invading my dreams. My problem was growing, and that's why I needed a break.

I dragged my bag out of the trunk of the car, and slumped up to the open front door. AB's parents were busy at work, and therefore I was not smothered in attention as per usual. Rachel particularly made a fuss of me when I went around!

Jonny left quietly, and I couldn't even find the words to thank him for the ride. AB sat next door to me on the sofa onlooking their driveway.

"So are you gonna talk to me now or continue to wallow in self pity?"

I didn't agree with what he'd said, and I could feel my temperature rising at what he'd said. But somehow, I knew he was right, and that that was why I was here in the first place, to sort myself out.

Please continue with your support and feedback, it's very much appreciated and encouraging! A special thanks to AnnaStephens8 who's been very supportive of me! Everyone go follow her :) sorry for the late update, but I've for my exams coming up and argghhh, let's just say, there's not enough time in a day!

KEEP VOTING ILY :)