Chapter 5

[The Mute Alpha - Chapter 5]

Song: Whatever it Takes by Imagine Dragons

•••

The car ride home was painful and endless. Everything around me was dark except for the head lights ahead of the car and the lights from the radio and the dashboard. I gripped the steering wheel tightly, my knuckles turning white. My jaw was clenched and my eyes sent a death glare to the long road ahead.

My mate wouldn't get out of my head. Her eyes. Her lips. Her face. Her hair. Her body. Her scent. It wouldn't go away.

The music on the radio was blasting through the speakers, trying to get her off my mind but failing. I could still feel her body pressed against mine, arms around my neck, her sweet scent suffocating me.

Just the idea of her has my friend from down below stiff. Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm myself down. I don't even know the girl.

But she is my mate...

Sighing, I turned my attention back to the road. Focus, I tell myself.

•••

When I reached home, it was way passed midnight. In fact, it was pretty close to dawn. Like four o'clock. My eyes lids were attempting to close, but I didn't let them. Suppressing a yawn, I turned the car off and pulled the keys out of the ignition. I got out of the car and walked to the front door.

When I entered, I was surprised to see Theo's sleeping form on the couch. His left leg was propped up on the back of the couch with his right leg dangling off the edge. His mouth was hanging open as he snored loudly, mumbling some incoherent words after. The light from the T.V. glared on his face and lit up the room.

I walked over to the coffee table and picked up the remote, turning the T.V. off.

Suddenly Theo sat up, eyes wide. His head snapped to me. "You startled me," he muttered while holding his hand to his chest and using the other hand to wipe off the dry saliva he had by his mouth.

I rolled my eyes but allowed my lips to tug up into a small, tired smile. He's always overdramatic. It can be refreshing sometimes. But not all the time.

He settled back down on the couch, but kept his eyes on me. "So...how was the party?" he asked. He asks me this every year. I usually give him the same answer every time, but today my answer is different.

I went over to the small leather arm chair and sat down, staring out one of the windows, the dark forest looking inviting. Images of my mate appeared in my mind again.

'I found my mate,' I replied, anticipating his reaction. He sat there for a few seconds, processing the information I just gave him. Then his jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

"You found your mate?" he shouted, making me wince.

I slowly nodded. He jumped up from the couch and rushed over to me, a wide grin on his face. "This is perfect! You need a luna. A mate. Someone to help me with you!" The last part I knew was a joke. Both he and I knew he had no problem with helping me. Since we're practically brothers.

"Well, what was she like?" he asked, staring at me expectantly.

'Breathtaking,' I breathed out, 'Her eyes, I can just stare at them for hours. They're endless. Hypnotizing. Her lips were perfect. They looked so kissable. Teasing me. Her tan skin looked so clear and it felt so smooth under my fingertips. The skin on her cheeks turned red, like a strawberry, when I caught her staring,' Theo listened intently.