ONE - WHERE IT ALL STARTED.

Donald DeGrate
August 27th, 2003

QUEENSBORO CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, LONG ISLAND CITY NY.

"Mr DeGrate, are you ready to talk now?" I didn't say nothin'

"Mr DeGrate, are you ready to talk now?" I didn't say nothin'. I haven't said a word to nobody since I been up in here, I don't trust these racist pigs and sketchy ass inmates. These mothafuckas wasn't catchin' me slippin'. Nope. I ain't admittin' to shit I ain't do just to make these lazy cracka's jobs easier. I mean I did it but they ain't have to know all that. I mean it wasn't like I was leaving anytime soon so I might as well just sit here and mind my business. It's been a week and my bail hasn't even been posted yet.

He let out a flustered sigh and slammed his hands down on the metal table. He leaned over the table, "Look Donald, you ain't chillin' in the hood with your homies anymore. You are in one of the most toughest maximum security facilities on the East Coast. You're looking at 20 years minimum kid. You're not even 21 yet, this is not how you wanna spend the next 20 years of your life. I'm not your enemy, I'm on your side Donald. I'm here to help, I just need you to work with me here."

I lazily slouched in the chair with my arms folded as I blankly stared at him. I leaned forward and grabbed the pack of cigarettes that sat on the table and took one out, never breaking my stare. I dry laughed, "Yeah aight. You tryna' get me to confess and I don't even know your name."

"It's Pete."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Pete? That's a weird ass-" he frowned and raised his eyebrow. I cleared my throat, "Aight. So what you need to ask me?"

Pete leaned down and reached inside of his brief case that sat on the floor. He pulled out a picture and slid it over to me, "Have you ever seen this girl before Donald?"

 He pulled out a picture and slid it over to me, "Have you ever seen this girl before Donald?"

I picked the picture up and looked at it. All of a sudden the room grew hot and I felt as if I couldn't breathe. Looking at that picture gave me chills, its been weeks since I've seen her face. She was so damn beautiful. The love of my fucking life. Too bad she didn't listen. It wasn't supposed to turn out like this...

I took a deep breath, "Yes I know her."

"How do you know her, Donald?"

"That's-that's a long and interesting story. You might wanna get comfortable. We'll be here for a while. Now let's go back to 2002, where it all started..."

--

OKAY GUYS. That was the first part of chapter one. I know it's short I'm posting part two tomorrow just bare with me. How is it so far? Personally I feel like I can do better 😭.