Chapter 8

The ride home was quiet, an unusual state when Paul's around. I absorbed the feeling of the moment, soaking in every detail as Paul drove me home. Being around him was just so calming and wonderful that when he parked my car in front of the house I was terrified the moment was going to end long before I wanted it to.

"Relax," Paul said, holding my hand. "Charlie said I could crash here. He doesn't want me driving home this late."

"Alright," I said, getting out of the Jeep and heading inside. The lights in the living room were still on, and Charlie was sitting on the couch with an open beer in his hand. The clock on the TV stand read 11:15, not as late as I thought. It was however late enough that Charlie was on at least beer number five judging by the empty cans scattered on the coffee table.

"Hey, Dad," I said softly, walking into the living room.

"Hey," he said.

"Did you say Paul could stay here?" I asked. "I know that he's my boyfriend and all, but it's pretty late and I don't think it'd be a good idea for him to drive home. We're both really tired. He'll sleep on the couch and I'll stay in my room."

"Yeah, I trust him," my dad said. "How many have I had?" He looked at the scattered cans.

"Four, five," I said, counting the cans as I picked them up.

He audibly groaned before trying to stand up, but instead he collapsed back on to the couch. "I think I'll stay here. You two go upstairs."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "We can get you upstairs."

"Yeah, I'm sure," he said. "Just no funny business."

"Of course not, Dad," I said.

"I have too much respect for your daughter, sir," Paul said. My dad just nodded before sprawling across the couch.

I woke up to my cell phone ringing with a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I asked, my voice was tired and groggy since it was 6 am. Paul and I had been up until almost 2 am talking about the tribe and the pack.

"Elizabeth?" The voice questioned.

"Yeah," I said.

"This is Dr. Cullen," he said. "Your sister fell down two flights of stairs and has lost a lot of blood. I think it'd be best if you and Charlie came to Phoenix."

"Is she gonna make it?" I asked now sitting up fully awake.

"She should be fine," he said.

"What are you doing in Phoenix?" I asked, running around my room throwing my only warm weather clothes into a book bag.

"My son followed Bella in hopes of getting her to come back. He requested I come with him," he said.

"My dad and I will be on the next flight," I said before the line went dead.

I was shaking Paul awake without even realizing it. "Paul, come on you gotta get up."

"I'm up," he said, but I was already half way down the stairs.

"Dad," I yelled, but there was no answer. I yelled again, and again no answer. I looked out the window, and the cruiser was gone.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Bella fell down two flights of stairs and has lost a lot of blood," I said. "Dr. Cullen called me to let us know. He said she should be fine."

"So what's going on?" He asked.

"Dad and I have to go to Phoenix, or at least Dad does, but he isn't here," I said. I ran into the kitchen, and there was a note on the table.

Liz,
Sorry to run out like this, but there was another attack. I'll be out of cell service all day. Go ahead to the rez, Emily will watch out for you. I'll be home by 7. I love you.
            -Dad

"Great," I said. "Dad's out of cell service. I'm going to head to the police station and see if I can find out where he is."

"You know he won't like you hunting him down. Maybe you should just come to the rez like he said," Paul said.

"Look, he will be even more upset if I don't go to Bella," I said. I grabbed a premade smoothie from the fridge, and threw two Gatorade bottles into my bag.

"I just don't want you to get hurt," Paul pleaded.

"Then come with me. I'll tell Sam what happened if we can't find my dad," I said.

"You know he won't let me," Paul said.

"Look, the Cullen's are cold ones," I said, stopping my frantic running. "I'll need protection from them."

"They can't hurt you," he said.

"I know Bella didn't fall down two flights of stairs. I maybe be human, but I'm not dumb," I said.

"Let's go," he said, deciding the fight with me wasn't worth it. I sped a little faster than needed to get to the police station, but it was worse that I left the car running when I took off into the building.