Not Getting Caught

When 6 O'clock rolled around Jade figured it would be a good time to see how Liam was doing with their new little game. A part of her almost hoped he failed, for she didn’t want to owe him anything, but a deal was a deal. As she made her way to the Burger King that Liam might be at she tried to remember if she had said not to kill the person once everything was done. She actually stopped walking to think it through. It slowly dawned on her that she hadn’t.

“Shit,” she mumbled to herself once she realized that.

She didn’t want too many bodies piling up, that would cause a real mess. And knowing Liam he would go right on ahead and kill the person without even thinking about it. She groaned before she started running the rest of the distance to her destination. When she got there she stopped outside one of the windows and looked in. Her eyes scanned faces and bodies to see if she could place the one she was looking for, but she wasn’t having much luck. She was about to go in when she heard a noise coming from the alley next to the fast food joint. “Dammit Liam,” she grumbled before running towards the head of the alley. Once she got there she could smell fresh blood, along with disgusting scents. Walking in she made her way over to a very dark area, an ideal place to feed if one was to do it in an alley like this.

“Liam stop!”

“Jade? What, did you want some?” Liam stepped out of the shadows, a body hanging in his arms.

“No, you can’t kill 'em Liam.”

“What? Why not?” he dropped the body to the ground and cross his arms. “What are you playing at?”

“Nothing.” She dropped to the ground to check on the person he had dropped. They were still alive, but barely. She reached into her pocket to grab her phone but was stopped as Liam grabbed her arm and pulled her up.

“Hey, I asked you a question,” he growled.

“And I answered.” She yanked her arm from his grasp and pulled out her phone before dialing 911. She was glad he didn’t say anything while she was on the phone, but of course as soon as she hung up he acted. Before she could even put her phone back he slammed her into the alley wall.

“You know I am getting real sick of you bossing me around Jade.”

“Then stop being such a dumbass and think! We can’t always kill. We can’t leave bodies laying around left and right. That is how we get caught. And if we get caught again then we have to move again.”

“Hey!” He got right up in her face. “I am not the reason we had to move in the first place,” he growled.

Anger flashed in Jade’s eyes before she balled her hand into a fist and punched him square in the jaw. “No one said you had to come with!” she screamed at him.

He stumbled and glared back at her.

“Oh ho ho ho. You think it’s that simple?” He shook his head. “You know...” he started to say but stopped when the sound of sirens filled their ears. “This isn’t over.” He stated before taking off.

Jade quickly slammed her phone into her pocket before jumping onto a dumpster and grabbing the fire escape ladder. She then pulled herself up before making her way to the top. She reached the roof of the building right as a cop car pulled up near the head of the alley.  Once on the roof she made sure to stay in the shadows while she watched everything going on. She wasn’t sure why she stayed behind to watch everything happen, a part of her said it was because she wanted to make sure Liam’s meal survived. But she knew better. As a whole she didn’t really care if the person survived or not; she just cared about keeping the body count low.

As she watched it seemed the person was going to be ok. She turned to leave, but then something caught her ear.

“Will... Doctor Lecter,” a voice said.

She wasn’t sure why she turned around when she heard those names, maybe she picked up on something else: another sound, a smell even. Either way she looked. And when she did she saw not only Blue Eyes, but also Maroon Eyes. She stepped back into the shadows more as she took in what she was seeing. Here they were again. Not only were both of them at another crime scene, but they seemed to have showed up together. What was the reason for this? She wanted to know. But then a voice spoke from behind her, drawing her from her thoughts.

“Jade,” Liam said softly.

She turned to look at him.

“We should go.”

She looked back down into the alley before nodding her head. Without saying a word she walked towards Liam. Together they made their way off the roof and back into the streets, instantly blending in with the crowds. They walked together in silence before going their separate ways. Liam made his way to his own place, which she was glad for. And she started to head home. But then she slowed down. She hadn’t fed yet today. Now that her brain and body were calming down she started to feel really hungry. She looked in the direction Liam went. It wasn’t uncommon for vampires to feed off each other. It didn’t offer much in way of nutrition for them, but it worked in a pinch and needed to feed. The only problem was if she went to him now after their fight it would just inflate his ego. And speaking of egos she couldn’t very well go to Ian. She took a bit too much from him last time because she had been angry.

Did she take the risk and go back to find someone? She was unsure of what to do, but first things first she should probably stop standing in the middle of the sidewalk. People were starting to give her looks. Looking around she ducked into the nearest store, at least that way she would look somewhat natural staring off at something. However she failed to take into account exactly how hungry she was; walking into a store full of people and their beating hearts sent her hunger into overdrive. She could feel her fangs growing even as she ran out of the door. She didn’t have time to try and hunt someone down, even if she wanted to, so she made a beeline for Liam’s house. She could deal with his ego later. She needed blood and his was the safest.  She just hoped that he wouldn’t be an ass about it.

When she got to his house she didn’t bother knocking; she didn’t need to. They had lived together for so long it was normal for them to just come and go between houses. It didn’t take her long to find him in his “man cave”. He stood up when he saw her, at first it looked like he was going to say something rude but then she saw him pause and he looked away instead.

“I wish I could quit you,” he said quietly before waving her over.

She nodded before walking over to him. “Thank you,” she said softly.

He snorted before he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her against his chest.