Why Are You Here

Jade needed to figure out exactly why they were here, and quick. How had she been so stupid? A new anger was building on top of the first one. She noticed a chef's knife to her right, and she just reacted. Picking it up she stabbed it into the cupboard with a harsh grunt. She then cocked her head to the side as she picked up a heartbeat behind her. She didn't turn around though, she didn't want to give whoever was behind her the impression that she knew they were there.

"What did the cabinet ever do to you?"

She pretended to jump before turning around, placing her hand over her no longer beating heart. "You startled me." She tried, but she had a feeling she failed. Normally she could cover herself rather well, but she was too pissed right now.

"I'm sorry, I had no intention of doing so Ms..." he trailed off.

"Moretti, Jade Moretti. Pleasure to meet you Doctor... Lecter was it?" She held out her hand.

"That is correct." He took her hand in his and kissed it, much like he had at the ball. "But I believe we have already met Ms. Moretti."

Jade froze for half a second. He also remembered her? But how? Her mask had been hiding her face. "Jade, please just call me Jade. It makes me feel old when people call me Ms. And pray tell, where have we met before?"

"A ball. We danced."

Fuck. "That's right, the gentleman."

"Pardon?"

"You were the only one I dance with whose hands didn't wander."

"Ah well, I can't say I blame them."

"Oh how you flatter Doctor." She turned her head to the side for a moment, listening in on Liam, making sure he wasn't saying anything he wasn't supposed to. However she noticed that Hannibal seemed to be watching her far more intently than she was comfortable with.

"Can I ask exactly what you want with my brother?"

"I thought you said you weren't related."

"We aren't, but like I said. We have lived together for so long we've come to think of ourselves as siblings."

"And how long would that be?"

"You are avoiding my question Doctor."

"As you are mine."

"Touché."

"Quid pro quo, I shall answer your questions, if you answer mine."

"Deal." She smirked. "Liam and I have been living together for..." she actually had to pause. It had been so long since she had to answer such a question she couldn't remember what her go to answer was.

"Problem?"

"Huh? Oh no, sorry," she chuckled awkwardly, hoping to cover her pause. "I was just lost in thought; I've known him for what seems like forever..." She shook her head to clear her thoughts. "We grew up next door to each other, from infancy to high school."

Which was a lie. When Liam was alive in 16th century Ireland they didn't really have school. And when Jade was young, living in London, she wasn't allowed the privilege of going to school.

"Somehow he managed to talk me into traveling the country with him. We've lived together ever since." She crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned against the counter. For some reason she felt herself getting calmer as she stood there talking to him."Your turn."

"A young girl was attacked in the alley where we found your brothers wallet. We just want to know what he knows."

"Oh that is terrible." Now that her anger was down some it was easy for her to mock shock at the news Hannibal just gave her. "Is she ok?"

"She seems to have lost a lot of blood, but they think she is going to make it. She is currently in a coma though."

For some reason she felt like Hannibal was testing her. Gaging her reaction to everything he was saying. Two could play that game.

"Well I am glad she is going to make it," she said with all but genuine relief in her voice.

"Yes, she is very lucky."

"Very. I hope you find whoever hurt her."

"How would you feel about that?"

Jade hated questions like that. How does she feel? She doesn't, not really. But she couldn't very well let him know such things.

"About putting away someone that attacks women in alleys? Safe."

"You do not feel safe?"

She had to admit she was a bit surprised he asked her that. Wouldn't any normal girl feel unsafe when she found out someone was attacking people?

"Well, not if someone is running around attacking people."

"What if that person was Liam?"

"Liam would never hurt a woman."

"How can you be too sure?"

Jade found herself annoyed by that question. What exactly was he playing at? Was he trying to get a rise out of her, or did he think she would throw Liam underneath the bus if he pushed hard enough?

"Because he knows if he does he will have to answer to me."

"You seem sure of yourself."

"Look you don't know Liam like I do. So I don't appreciate you coming into his home and accusing him of something such as violence against a woman."

"My apologies." He held his hands up in surrender.

"I think it's time you leave. Both of you." She held her hand in the direction of the doorway that lead to the living room. She was glad when he walked through it without a fight. Once she was in the room she walked up to Liam.

"I think it's time both of you leave," she snapped at them. "Unless, of course, you are actually charging him for something."

"No, no we are not," Will said. He handed Liam his wallet before they said their goodbye.

Once they were gone Jade felt a lot better.

"You didn't have to stick around," Liam said to her.

"Trust me, I wanted to leave, but the urge to murder you was too strong and I ended up not being able to. And now I have to clean up your mess! Again!"

"What do you mean?"

"She is still alive!"

"Hey that is not my fault, you were the one to stop me!"

"You never should have fed from her to begin with!" She looked away from him. "Just please lay low until I can clean this up. No feeding unless it is an emergency, and if you have to feed take from multiple people. No more bodies. No more cops." She then turned on her heels and left out the backdoor.