Chapter 3, The Magician

My cries for help--cold, all heard, all forgotten

I.

Mary had asked a string of questions while Pandora toured her around, none of which were answered.

"Where am I?"

"Where are my friends?"

"Who are those people?"

The place seemed like a dungeon. Pandora led her across narrow corridors, steep steps, more cells, and rooms filled with strange objects like cushion-less bed frames, cow skulls, and large cauldrons. At one point, she stopped before a door and knelt beside it, instructing Mary to do the same. After doing so, the girl gestured at the door.

"I like this," she said, grinning. "I like it when they do this."

Mary raised an eyebrow. "Do what?" Her lisp hadn't left yet.

"Press your ear and listen."

Mary did as she was instructed. From beyond, she heard a lot of voices. They were chanting something--singing something.

"W-What are they doing?"

"Praising," Pandora replied. "My people like to sing hymns. They think the hymns will awaken the fathers. They may be right."

"The fathers?" Mary repeated.

"You ask too much, Mary."

"You answer none."

"Patience."

"I-I want to get out of here, Pandora," Mary pleaded. The stale taste of iron still lingered on her tongue. "Please help me."

Pandora snickered. "Little Mary is being reckless. You will reap what you deserve, but not now. Currently, I am touring you around my house."

"Y-Yes."

"What have you seen so far?"

Mary hesitated. "I've seen--"

"Lying is for fools, Mary." Pandora's voice felt like steel.

"I-I've seen walls," Mary continued, gulping. "Dark old walls. I've seen halls, pots, beds--"

"Don't be foolish." Pandora frowned. "What do you see?"

Mary thought for a while. "I-I've seen darkness and isolation and--"

Pandora crept near her and held her shoulders. "Very good, Mary," she spoke softly. "So where are you now?"

"I-I don't know, Pandora--"

"Where," Pandora cocked her head, "are you now?"

Mary yelped as the girl inched her face closer. She stared right at her dry eyes, pink, unmoving, yet alive. Her breathing came monotonously.

"I don't know." Mary's voice shook.

"You don't know," Pandora repeated. She removed her face from Mary's and backed off, stopping right ahead of the door. "Mary, we are still in Uwile Ruins."

"R-Really?"

"Yes." Pandora nodded. "I do not give much attention to the one above land, however--no, no. I do not give much attention to that. I have no place up there."

"What do you mean?"

Pandora smiled. "We are underground. Yes, indeed. We are a few stories beneath the ruins you know and love."