Chapter 7, The Primordials

The great infernal heeds none of my humanity

I.

The force of the explosion blew Mary away. The beast staggered backwards, bellowing in pain. A chunk of its moldy skin fell from its neck and splashed on the floor.

Mary got to her feet and scurried away. As the Eyeless One searched for her in vain, she swung the scepter and sent two more streams right at its bulging body. Bits of flesh and oozing liquid scattered everywhere as the beast collapsed on its own weight.

Can you remember me forever? Can you remember my name?

As the beast used up all of the strength it had left to get back up, Mary sent another projectile right at it. It erupted into a fiery blast that sent more shards of hardened skin sliding across the ground.

I love you, Mary. I love you so much.

She was screaming now. She shot another beam right at the Eyeless One's neck and blew it into shreds. Its mangled remains fell helpless on the ground in a heap.

Out from the dark, a tentacle-like appendage shot out and wrapped itself around her torso. It pulled her in with incredible strength--but Mary kept steady. With her few precious seconds, she held the scepter back then jerked it forward. A purple lightning strike zapped through the air and exploded into a multitude of sparks. The appendage's grip loosened immediately.

Then, silence. The room blacked out as the glow of the scepter died.

In the still darkness, she felt her fingers limping, her legs crippling, her back aching. She felt her mind screaming, her heart pounding, her soul begging.

"Jacob?" she called out. "Wynona?"

But neither of them answered.

Mary was all alone.

II.

It who downs the freed one, come.

"In the end, it was easy," Mary said, tears streaking down the sides of her face. "It was easy."

A lamp had burned to life just ahead of her. The tattered mess that was Pandora stood beside it, rigid and watchful.

"So easy," Mary grinned. She looked up at her. "It was so easy, Pandora."

Pandora stood in silence, listening to whatever escaped Mary's mouth. She did not blink a single time.

"Why was it so easy, Pandora?" Mary stood up, fists clenched. "Why didn't I just destroy the Eyeless One before it killed her?"

Pandora's next words shook her: "How arrogant is man to think he is above the infernals."

Mary grimaced. "Y-You are still talking about that--?"

"In the end, man lacks in all aspects," Pandora continued. "In mind, in strength, in wisdom--"

Mary advanced forward and threw her fist at Pandora--but she passed right through her as if she was air. She emerged from behind, eyes wide in disbelief.

"--in willpower."

Mary could only stare at her fist. "What are you?"

"Here you are, proving my words for me." Pandora turned around to face her. "Man, foolish as always. You, foolish as always--"

Mary hurled a beam of purple light at Pandora, but before it hit her, it curved upwards and smashed at the ceiling. Cracks ran across its surface as shards of rock fell on their heads.