Chapter 6, XIII

I reach for them, and they swallow me whole

I.

Walking through the corridor they came from felt like walking to the gallows. Mary led the way, the scepter a lonely light above her head, while Wynona trailed behind. The blackness seemed to be thicker--stronger. The occasional flickering of the runes crushed her.

Emerging through the door at the other side, they found themselves in an empty wide room--the site of Jacob's death. They treaded with silent, shaking feet, their hearing magnified for the lowest of growls. As long as they didn't make noise or get too near, the monster wouldn't sense them. Mary could just blast its neck off, then finish the rest of it with more of the scepter's power.

However, they made it to all corners without encountering the beast. In fact, the room was devoid of any signs showing the monster had been there: flattened foot marks, scraped walls--or anything at all. The only thing worth noting was the door on the other side of the room that had not been there before.

"She's changed it again," Mary said.

"We'll just have to keep on searching, right?" Wynona asked.

"Yes."

Mary watched her friend approach the new door, stopping just before it to glance at her. By the scepter's phantasmal shine, her face was cold and tired. Tears had dried on her cheeks.

"Wyn?" Mary said.

After some while, Wynona shook her head and faced the door. "Never mind. Let's go."

"You were going to say something."

"Mary, please. Let's just go."

"I want to hear it, Wyn."

Wynona took a long sigh. When she faced Mary again, she was smiling.

"I just remember the good old days."

"Good old days?"

"Yes, Mary." Wynona came up to her and held her hands. They gripped the scepter together. "Do you remember? When I was admitted?"

Mary felt something powerful brewing inside. "In dad's clinic?"

"It felt like the world was crashing all over me, you know? Back then." Wynona's fingers tightened. "Who would've known that was just a joke, huh? Compared to this... this hell."

"Wyn," Mary said. "I stayed by your side, remember? I'll stay now, too."

"Oh, Mary." Wynona's voice broke. She let go of Mary's hands and turned to the other direction. "Mary, Mary, Mary."

"Wyn?"

Mary heard her sobbing in the silence. When she next spoke, her voice was a mess.

"I love you, Mary," she said. "I love you so much."

Warmth washed over Mary. She wrapped her arms around Wynona from behind and pushed her face against her back. "I love you too, Wyn," she said, smiling. "We'll get out of this mess."

"We'll get out of this mess," Wynona repeated.

"Yes, we will," Mary said. "You have to. Winter needs her big sister."

"You're right," Wynona said. "Winter will grow up stupid without me. Someone has to teach her about boys."

"Yes."

Wynona relieved herself of Mary's embrace and returned to the door. She pushed it open and ushered her to come along.

"Come now, Mary," she said. "I can't go on without a light."