Book One: The Rise of Enemies

Disclaimer: This story is a historical fanfiction sequel inspired by and informed from a very popular Indian movie franchise, Baahubali. I don't own it neither do I make any money or profit out of this endeavor. The pictures, images and paintings used for creating the book covers, the audio clips and video clips incorporated in the media section have been googled. They belong to the original uploaders or the artists who have created them. They do not belong to me. They have been used to simply enhance the reading experience.

I dedicate my story to S.S. Rajamouli Sir and his eminent writer-father, K.V. Vijayendra Prasad, the architects who have crafted this fictional universe of epic fantasy. My sequel takes off from the point where the two movies end. Whatever I have written here is my own interpretation and vision of how the existing story world could continue. It is not the officially approved version or part of the Canon. This story has been written by a fan of the movie series to amuse herself and amuse a few others who might love similar tales.

A Brief Overview of the Backstory
One throne and two contenders-: two cousins, Bhallaladeva and Amarendra Baahubali compete to prove themselves worthy of the throne of Mahishmati.

The evil cousin, Bhallaladeva manipulates and tricks his way to the throne of Mahishmati while the good cousin, Amarendra is content being the Commander-in-Chief of the army of Mahishmati and serving his people.

But Bhallaladeva is not satisfied. He deposes Amarendra from his authority and exiles him and his wife, Devasena from the palace. He is still not satisfied as the monopoly and unchallenged power he hankers for continue to elude his grasp.

Amarendra still continues to be the darling of the masses of Mahishmati while he continues to be despised. Bhallaladeva gets Amarendra Baahubali assassinated and holds Amarendra's wife, Devasena as captive for twenty-five long years.

The Matriarch of the kingdom, Rajamata Sivagami realizing what a horrible king and reprehensible human being Bhallaladeva was, proclaims Mahendra Baahubali, Amarendra's newborn son and her grandson as the rightful heir to the throne to the populace of Mahishmati.

Later, Sivagami smuggles him away to a tribal village in order to protect him from his evil uncle, Bhallaladeva. She valiantly sacrifices her own life in the process. So Devasena, Mahendra's mother vows to burn her tormentor, Bhallaladeva, on a funeral pyre she herself would adorn and decorate as her vengeance.

Ignorant of the fact that Sivagami has rescued Mahendra, everyone back home assume him to be dead. Twenty-five years later, Mahendra Baahubali, Devasena's son and the rightful heir to the throne returns and avenges his father's death and his mother's imprisonment and fulfills Devasena's solemn oath of revenge. Kattappa, the loyal retainer of the kingdom helps Mahendra in this quest. This is the backstory to the present historical fanfiction sequel.

Note: This introduction notwithstanding, I would sincerely advise any first-time readers who haven't watched the movies to catch up with them on Netflix or YouTube. They are available in HD quality with very good subtitling. You will certainly love watching them. I have tried to narrate my story in such a way that it can be read as a standalone too. But truth remains that it is a sequel story. As a reader, you might miss several points of reference if you haven't watched Baahubali 1 and Baahubali 2.

Peace has at last returned to Mahishmati

Peace has at last returned to Mahishmati. The evil tyrant, Bhallaladeva has been overthrown by his nephew, Mahendra Baahubali heralding a new and brilliant era of prosperity, happiness and good fortune. Everybody thinks that the vicious circle of deaths, ambition, power lust and saga of vendetta has ended. But they are wrong. Evil has not been completely annihilated. It lives on in one form or the other waiting for an opportunity to strike. Which form will evil take in this new tale? And which form will good take to counter evil? Presenting to you Book One: The Rise of Enemies.