Chapter Twenty-Six

Secret Documents Archive
Document 2: Royal Order 401
Sivagami, daughter of former Bhoomipathi Devaraya, has been promoted from her current post as the Upapradhana to become the youngest and first woman Mahapradhana of the kingdom of Mahishmati in recognition of her talent and the valuable services she has rendered to the state.
Royal Seal of Maharaj Somadeva, King of Mahishmati.
-
-
-
Document 3: Royal Order 402
Prince Mahadeva, the youngest Prince of Mahishmati has been deputed on a diplomatic mission to establish contact with the rebel group of Vaithalikkas and open communication channels with them. We authorize him to act on our behalf and diffuse the situation of civil war. We would like to listen to any demands or grievances the Vaithalikkas and other rebel groups supporting them have against our administration. The entire sovereignty and integrity of the state depends on the success of this diplomatic mission. It is a very difficult and tricky mission and requires a huge amount of patience, diplomacy and tact. Hence we depute the Mahapradhana of Mahishmati, Sivagami to accompany the prince and assist him with her valuable advice and resourcefulness.
Royal Seal of Maharaj Somadeva, King of Mahishmati.
Copies to: Prince Mahadeva and Mahapradhana Sivagami
-
-
-
Document 4: Account of Court Proceedings of Case 287
The court proceedings of the case of Crown Prince, Bijjaladeva whipping law-enforcement officer, Dandanayaka Kashi, conducted by the orders and interrogated in the presence of the King of Mahishmati, Maharaj Somadeva.

Somadeva: Let the proceedings begin!

The public prosecutor rested his case, "The accused, Crown Prince, Bijjaladeva was caught red-handed by Dandanayaka Kashi while the latter was attempting to sell several state secrets to an envoy of the King of Sivagiri in an attempt to depose Maharaj Somadeva from the throne."

Somadeva: Are both the accused and victim in the court?

Prosecutor: Yes, Maharaj. Both the Prince and the Dandanayaka stand before you.

Somadeva: Kashi, do you have any witnesses who can testify what exactly happened apart from yourself?

Kashi: All the soldiers who were with me when this happened will testify in my favor.

Somadeva (in a crestfallen tone): Crown Prince, Bijjaladeva do you wish to tell anything else in your favor?

Bijjaladeva (boastfully rattled): I am the heir-apparent. I am the eldest son of the family. This throne is my divine right. What I do with my kingdom or its state secrets is my wish. I owe an explanation to none.

Somadeva: So this is all that you have to tell this court? Crown Prince, Bijjaladeva you accept whatever you have been accused of doing?

Bijjaladeva: I do...So?

Somadeva(with a heavy heart): Dandanayaka, have the state secrets been retrieved and kept in safe custody?

Kashi: Yes, your highness. Those secrets are safe now. It was while trying to do this, the Crown Prince unleashed his whip on me. Being a State officer, I could not break protocol and retaliate against the Prince.

Bijjaladeva: A lash or two from my whip will do you no harm, Watchdog!

Saying so, the Crown Prince brought out his whip from beneath his folds of clothing and launched anew in a fresh bout of whiplashes on the body of the security officer, Dandanayaka Kashi.

Somadeva: Soldiers hold him back! Take away Kashi from here and get him treated by the royal medical practitioner.

This time, the Crown Prince launched himself against the soldiers who were trying to get him under control. A few soldiers fell down injured. They were handicapped by the fact that the unruly accused was also their Crown Prince which prevented them from adopting sterner measures to restrain him.