Chapter Sixty-Eight (Part 1)

The meeting of the chieftains was a partial success. While Aparaajitha and Nachiyar had been able to convince the rest of the clans for free passage, Vallabha Nayaka had given no assurance of that sort. He had been deliberately buying time. He hadn't opposed their plans outrightly for fear of being seen unpatriotic and opportunist.

Jangamaiyya entered after the chieftains had departed. He asked Nachiyar, "How did the meeting go?"

"As we thought. The other clans are willing to cooperate. But Vallabha Nayaka wants some more time to think and ponder", Nachiyar replied.

"He will betray all of us. You should have imprisoned him at the very least, Nachiyar", Jangamaiyya reprimanded.

"Wasn't it what we were expecting him to do all along? It would have been detrimental to our own interests to imprison or harm him. His people know that he came here. If anything happens to him now, all their suspicions would be on us. The chieftains of the other clans would have turned against us too", Nachiyar explained.

"Then how are we going to tackle him?" Jangamaiyya asked.

Aparaajitha said, "Aiyya, it is very easy to trap clever people. Let him play his game. Then we'll trap him in the web of his own cleverness."

"Yes, the princess is right", agreed Nachiyar. She turned towards Aparaajitha and asked, "Have your uncle and Bhavani left for Kunthala?"

"Yes, this morning. They will reach there in a couple of days. Bhavani will be crowned as the queen of Kunthala and my uncle will serve as her regent until she is old enough to be the queen regnant herself."

Jangamaiyya politely invited Aparaajitha to stay back in the camp for dinner to which she gracefully assented. He left to share this happy news with the other members of the camp.
-
-
-
Nearly two hours had been spent over the evening meal. The children put up a small impromptu drama. Everyone had laughed, cried and had a wonderful meal. Nachiyar was getting restless but she knew she couldn't probably deny everyone the right to interact and get to know Aparaajitha. After everyone had happily retired to bed, Aparaajitha and Nachiyar left the camp. They had just got beyond earshot of the camp when a volley of arrows rained on them. It was a cleverly- laid ambush. The forms of their opponents were difficult to make out in the minimal light.

"We are very near to the camp. Let's go back", Nachiyar suggested.

As Aparaajitha swatted a couple of arrows that came her way, "No the arrows are landing at more regular intervals as we head towards the camp. The archers must have been placed nearer to the camp but far enough to prevent help and reinforcements from the camp from reaching us immediately. Let us head towards the mountains."

"Aiyya was warning me about Vallabha Nayaka. I should have heeded his advice. It must have been him", Nachiyar lamented.

Nachiyar's face suddenly turned deathly-pale. Her hands started shaking and her vision blurred. She turned towards Aparaajitha and said, "Our food has been poisoned."

"What?"

"I won't be able to be in control of myself for much longer. We have to break free from this ambush as fast as possible", Nachiyar as she gasped and panted for breath.

Aparaajitha and Nachiyar rode in the direction of the Udayagiri mountains. Nachiyar was quickly losing consciousness. Aparaajitha took control of her horse in addition to hers and guided both of them to safety. They had left their enemies far behind.

Aparaajitha got down from her horse and quickly supported Nachiyar from falling down. She dragged her to a small and dilapidated temple and laid her to rest on a small stone slab.