Chapter 40

The part where I had stood up to Tim was now included in the final documentary, but what had been only alluded to was what happened immediately after I’d crouched over the tiger cub. There was the sickening sound of the shot and the tiger had fallen back on the cage, shattering it, one of the massive posts that had held the door open crashing onto my back. Then a shout from Eoin, another bang, and the tranquiliser dart hitting me. Fortunately that hadn’t made it into the documentary, but nor had the footage that followed which included the rescue team arriving to capture the poachers.

I was just about to turn it off when the camera captured Eoin at the bottom of the slope heading towards me. He was doubled over in pain, clutching his side as he stumbled over to me. He crouched down next to me and then dropped to his knees. I could see the tiger cub wriggling under the arch of my body, but I was perfectly still and it was obvious the tranquiliser had already taken effect. Despite his obvious pain, he still lifted the post from across my back, and I could see him struggling with the weight of it. It must have been excruciating for him. As soon as it was free of me, he dropped it, collapsed to the ground, but then crawled back to my side, not rising until the rescue team arrived. After he’d spoken to them, he crouched back down beside me and stroked my hair, then petted the tiger which was still trapped under my body, desperately trying to keep it and me still. And then nothing happened for a very long time until the paramedics finally arrived and Eoin briefed them, indicating where the bar had been across my back, one arm still wrapped around his ribs. As they fetched a stretcher and board from their vehicle, Eoin was back down next to me, and then assisting as they lifted my arms, supporting my head and shoulders, keeping them absolutely straight as they released the tiger cub from under me, tiger sanctuary staff scooping him up and into a carrying container as Eoin monitored every move the paramedics made.

He helped with lifting me onto the stretcher, his hand resting protectively on my shoulder as they prepared to carry me back to the ambulance and we all disappeared off screen, the camera being switched off a few minutes later when someone, probably Eoin, must have retrieved it.

I felt drained, but so, so grateful for what Eoin had done. His actions in removing the pole and ensuring that I hadn’t moved probably saved my spinal cord and my ability to walk, and I could see the pain etched on his face, but still he’d done it. Emotions overwhelmed me as I realised the torture he must have gone through. This was the man who loved me, demonstrated only too clearly in that video, and the reality of his love caught me unawares. It was real, it was tangible. And unbelievably it was all mine.  

He returned at shortly after midday and I was waiting for him, on my crutches rather than in the wheelchair wanting to show him that I was more than just OK.

‘How did it go?’ I asked.

‘Brilliant.’

‘Want anything before you go to bed?’

‘Just some water. I’ll get it.’

I curled up next to him, just wanting to be close to him, waiting until he’d fallen asleep and then just watching him, appreciating now how tough it must have been for him while I was injured. And he hadn’t abandoned me when any sane person should have walked away. He’d stayed, even when I’d tried to push him away. He’d stayed.

We took a taxi to a restaurant once Eoin had showered. We sat adjacent to each other rather than opposite, and I simply couldn’t stop touching him, wanting to feel the warmth of his skin under mine.

‘I must stay away more often if this is your reaction,’ he joked.

‘No, don’t.’

‘OK then. I won’t.’