Chapter 53

Hi,

So I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news first: I'll be on holiday next week and so won't be able to update next Sunday. BUT, now to the good news: I just edited this chapter, and let me tell you this, it left me breathless.

I really enjoyed writing this one because in this chapter there's so much more than what you see on the surface (at least that's how it was for me). I hope you'll enjoy the read!!

:-)  

Lara

__________________________________________________

Chapter 53

"I need you functioning because I need to know why you turned rogue," Alexander said.

His presence seemed to stretch and widen, wrap itself around her like a suffocating blanket. She stilled, watching him closely, but remained silent.

"When you told me about the night Victor's mansion was attacked you did not tell me everything," he said. "Why?"

She averted her head, staring at the opulent assortment of blue cushions on the couch-like monstrosity in the middle of the room. One of her most precious bargaining chips was slipping away and she didn't know how to avoid it.

His hand settled on her shoulder. Alarmed, she started and looked up at his chin, trying to avoid his eyes at all costs. She forced blankness into her face and eyes, tried to hide her reaction.

She could feel his gaze on her. His eyes, searching. His presence, overwhelming. There wasn't enough room to breathe.

His fingers tightened. "Look at me."

She looked at him then, really looked at him. Let him see what was in her eyes. It didn't matter.

For a long moment the head vampire simply stared back.

"You do not remember." The words were soft, like a caress that raised goose bumps on her skin, and there was motion in the depth of his eyes. Was the head vampire suffering from an inner conflict?

She stared at him openly. Not looking would have been weakness. She had no fear and no other emotions that could drag her down down down.

"I want you to let me inside your head," Alexander said.

"No."

The word was out before she could stop herself. It sounded panicked, like the shriek of a hunted, cornered animal and she hated herself for it. She wasn't weak anymore and she never would be again.

"I want to get inside to find out what happened, nothing more," Alexander said.

She watched him, then made a connection she should have made earlier. "You think someone took my memory," she said slowly, assessing his gaze.

"If someone did, I can help you regain it," he said.

"The answer is still no," she said, averting her head. Her mind belonged to herself. She would never permit someone else to have that much control over her. "I did what you asked of me. So stop stalling and give me the magical artifact."

He let go of her shoulder, but didn't step back. He was still invading her personal space like he had a right to.

"There is still the little matter of the favor, Anna. You agreed to do one favor that will cost you nothing in terms of time or magic and will do no harm to you."

She forced a smile on her lips. This was Alexander, shrewd negotiator and cunning tactician and she was eager to hear what exactly he believed he had in store for her.