Chapter 61

Hi,

So some of you believe Anna could stand a chance against Vladislav, while others disagreed. So if Anna could or cannot win over Vladislav at this point in time, why is that? What ingredient is/was missing? What do you think does Anna need against this opponent? Is it a battle of minds and/or wills? Oh, and what is Alexander up to??

Anyway, enjoy the chapter and as always, thank you all for reading :-)

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 61

Vladislav was standing in front of me. Back in the real world. Cold sweat pearled on my forehead like icy raindrops and I was breathing hard. Gone was the vision of my inner fortress. And I knew why. I was no longer one step away from the abyss, fighting for my mind and my life. Without my knowing I had stared into it too hard, and the abyss had looked back.

Vladislav had gotten into my head.

I shuddered and stared at him with wide eyes, gulping in air. Where had he been? What had he seen in my mind? Was I his servant now?

The great three witches help me. Anything but that.

I knew that Helèna Bathoryn was still there, somewhere beside or behind Vladislav, but my being couldn't seem to focus on anything else. My eyes unfocused and my vision blurred whenever I tried to look away from his eyes. I licked my lips, trying to concentrate on a spot beside him and failing.

Vladislav held up his hand, in his palm the ring I'd gotten from Alexander in the club. I stilled. It took a lot to get this ring back from the head vampire. The magical artifact was one of my best trump cards. One I'd counted on. I narrowed my eyes. How had Vladislav gotten-

"I am over one-thousand years old. You cannot hide from me," Vladislav said.

His eyes were two pools of blackness that spoke of bottomless abysses, approaching apocalypses and a never-ending reign of darkness. The smell of burned skin drifted into my nose, a small reminder of what I'd seen when I tried to get into Vladislav's head on my own.

If he had the ring, it could only mean one thing. Vladislav had been long enough in my mind to gather that I had the magical artifact and where I hid it. What else did he see?

"Did you think I would not know? This trinket will not help you. Neither will it help Adorján", Vladislav said.

Time moved forward, slipped through my fingers. Vladislav had lifted his head and was glancing into the distance, caught up in a statuesque pose that suggested he could do it forever.

I licked my lips. Vladislav had moved and I'd missed it again. The realization hovered over my head, sinking slowly. If I didn't do something, I was going to lose my mind. I couldn't lose this. Not to Vladislav. Not to anyone.

Vladislav's eyes turned back to me. "You will remain here and await my orders," he said softly. The weight of a century-heavy gaze slammed back into me, locking my limbs into place. The power of the grave washed over me like a cold, suffocating blanket. I couldn't move, could barely think.

The magical planes seemed to be obscured by the dark powers of the grave. It felt like someone had cut off my magic and my feel of the elements, rendering me breathless and blind. My breathing quickened, rising in a steady crescendo.

My magic. Where were the elements?

I swallowed, tried to slow my breathing. They were still there. Had to be. I just couldn't feel them at this point in time. I couldn't – no, I wouldn't lose my head to Vladislav.