Chapter 64

Hi,

Some of you said they felt we were nearing the end. Well, let me tell you this: I'm writing as I go and so everything's still on the table. Who knows what's going to happen... ;-)

A word of warning, I might not be able to update next Sunday, but I'll try my best!

Lara

____________________________________________________

Chapter 64

I'd have to up my game – a lot.

"Who the fuck are you?" I said, peering through the flames.

The unknown witch said nothing, but stopped a few feet in front of me, extinguishing the flames with a slice of her head.

Blood pounded in my veins, loud as the crackle of fire – flames she just made disappear. I licked my lips. With a fucking slice of her head. There weren't many witches in her age who could do that. It took decades to get that kind of control over your element. To do that with the amount of magic she was using?

Just. Fuck.

I needed time, and a better plan.

Come on Varner.

"How about an exchange?" I said. "A name for a name, that's only fair, don't you think?"

She cocked her head and something flashed up in her eyes. Not amusement. That would necessitate some sort of warm or fuzzy feeling. Not in her book. Not in her world. No.

If she was a vamp, I would have called it bloodlust – a frenzy of greater proportions; a rare emotional reaction in beings that lost most of their human emotional urges. But she wasn't a vampire. She was a witch and a human first.

"Agreed," she said. "You first."

I was going to give her truth. A deal is a deal – even if your opposite is on the other side of the law.

"I'm Andy Varner," I said, watching her face. "You?"

"I, Mr. Varner, am your worst nightmare," she said.

I gave her a smile that showed all teeth. I'd seen worse, far worse than her. "Nice try. Your name was what we agreed on."

"You do not believe me? Oh but I will become your nightmare. I think I should like that very much. I'd like to hear my name from your lips just before you die." She lifted her head, as if she wanted to underline just how much she was looking down on me. "This and only this is the reason why I will give you my name. It's Helèna Bathoryn."

Helèna Bathoryn. The name had a familiar ring to it. I'd heard the name before, but had no idea where.

She stepped forward and raised her palm. The air shimmered with heat and potent magic. I had no idea what kind of offensive magic she was going to use. I'd never seen that before!

She cocked her head. Her lips curled into a smile that smacked of blood and ash. "Come on. Try saying it. I'm gonna have you say it perfectly before I'm done with you."

"You're gonna have to wait a long time for that," I said, mind racing. I needed an exit strategy that involved a better plan than fighting myself out of this. I was pretty sure – magically speaking – I was majorly outclassed.

The motion was unexpected and sudden. Bathoryn stilled, her smile stuck in an awkward moment of surprise, her eyes narrowing with suspicion. They settled on a spot over my right shoulder.