Chapter 49

Hi,

Hope your weekend was as good as mine! Okay, so we're back at the club and –guess what – Andy's not the only one that's paying Alexander a visit ;-)

Thanks for reading and have a great week :-)  

Lara

___________________________________________________

Chapter 49

ANNA

The club was bursting at the seams, the queue outside longer than ever. Unstable times created a vacuum that begged to be filled with something. Most people crammed it with trivial distractions like dancing, sex, alcohol and the less legal drugs – in the hope wild nights could bring the sense of abandonment everybody was after. It didn't even matter if they were human or not.

The red fur carpet seemed to come to life under her feet as she walked down the line, past vampires staring at her as if they were fantasizing about the taste of her blood. All they saw and smelled was a human with a little bit of witch blood, a twenty-something with long brown hair, brown eyes, a black leather jacket and tight dark blue jeans. She could feel eyes on her face, lingering on her lips. She'd painted them red with lipstick, her eyes a black-rimmed creation.

The first time she came here, she'd put on make-up as a kind of war paint. This time she wasn't wearing make-up because she was afraid or because she wanted to hide behind a mask. It just felt good.

She was power. She would work on achieving her goal and not stop until she had what she wanted. And no one would stop her.

What the vampires didn't see was what was on the inside. She was barely reigning her power in, felt it compressed tightly inside of her, the magical planes around her so full of potential, of dark magic she could use. Oh and how she wanted to use it. That rush of power, that sweet tingle in her veins Spirit never failed to induce.

She would use it.

Soon. Very soon.

When he saw her, the bouncer put an arm across the entrance, stopping a vampire from entering. His eyes locked on her.

"Long time no see, girlie," he said, flashing fangs in a grin.

She gave him a level look. Her eyes brushed over the bald head and took in the beefy arms that might crush her with one motion alone. Still. This vampire was no threat to her. The real and only threat was inside the club.

"Will you let me in?" She said.

She let the statement hang in the air. In the end it didn't matter. She would get in, one way or another.

He stared at her in stony silence. She met his stare without blinking. There was a time when she might have avoided a vampire's eyes. Not this night. No more.

His smile faltered, and he nodded slowly. "Don't get yourself into trouble, girlie."

"Not if I can help it." She made to move past him, then stopped for a moment. "Don't call me, girlie."

She walked into the club without waiting for his reply.

The insides were as boisterous and shrill as she remembered. Nothing in here pointed to an inner calm, a stoicism most people would expect from the undead – as if the vampires were trying to make a point against it.

The blue marble floor flew under her feet as she made her way through Club Ryon, heading straight for the door at the back of the club. She flung it open, and moved into the corridor as if she owned it.