Chapter 23

The brutal and relentless cold of early 1864 bring battles to a temporary halt. Small skirmishes and run-ins with enemies dot the snowy landscape of Virginia with the blood of the fallen.

As Ezekiel looks out over the latest impromptu battlefield, he’s overcome with the aching realization that this war may never come to fruition. There is little that he can do but continue to go on and lead his soldiers into each new day. And with each new day brings the almost definite possibility of lost lives. Young men, barely old enough to join have recently been added to his ranks. After today’s battles, he knows that at least some of those young men will be returning to their homes in a pine box.

“Colonel Monroe, I have correspondence for you from Philadelphia,” a young courier announces as he trudges up the snowy hillside where Ezekiel is contemplating his latest battle and what his next move should be. Should he follow the severely weakened Rebs or should he lie back and allow his men to heal? At the sound of his name, he turns to see the familiar face of his second favorite courier. It’s times like this that he misses Grace being a part of his unit. Although he worried for her dreadfully and he didn’t want her to come to harm, having her around was like having Mary by his side. She grounded him just by being near. Grace has that kind of effect on her close family and friends, and she especially has that effect on Zachariah. But having Grace around was nice because he enjoyed knowing that in spite of the war, he had family who truly cared for him close by.

“Private Walker, what do you have there?”

“It appears to be a letter from home sir. It was delivered to Captain Peters unit this morning, he asked me to bring it to you upon my return.”

“Is there anything from Captain Peters?”

The young courier hands another parcel over to the Colonel along with his letter. “Both are there sir.”

“Thank you Private. Please, go and warm up, get something to eat and rest.”

Walker solutes and gallops off toward camp with Ezekiel watching his retreat. He glances at the parcel and knows that he should focus on that and not his personal message. But he also knows that Mary is due any day with their little bundle, and he’s been desperate to know how she is doing.

He gives into his desire to know what Mary writes and quickly breaks the seal on the letter.

March 13, 1864

My dearest husband,

I write to inform you that we still do not have our little one to hold and enjoy. I must admit that I believe him to be a boy though, his stubbornness is the match of his father’s.

All is well in Philadelphia. Isaiah and Elizabeth are both getting on quite well, he’s even apologized to both myself and Helen about his deplorable behavior. He and Helen have become unlikely friends, it’s quite refreshing to see.

We just received word yesterday that Zachariah’s unit has met up with General Grant and they are still moving deeper into Virginia to try to head off the Rebs. Grace is well and is minding their agreement by remaining a nurse in spite of her frequent and ardent arguments. It seems our Grace is still as tenacious as ever.

I sent my love and prayers to you. I dream of the day that you return to me and our little one.

With all my love.

Your wife,

Mary

Ezekiel turns to the second page included in the letter. This letter is from Isaiah.

March 17, 1864

Dearest Brother,

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of a tragedy that has occurred. Two days after Mary wrote the previously included letter, she went into labor. We called in the doctor and Christina, but from the moment that her water broke there appeared to be something severely wrong. The doctor and Helen were by her side through the entire night, with Elizabeth and myself close by.