Chapter 24

In the early morning hours of April 1, 1864, Zachariah sits in his tent trying to decide if he is going to ignore rules and regulations and go to his wife. He misses her dreadfully and it has been since she visited him on Christmas Eve that they have been alone together. He catches glimpses of her in camp near the hospital tent. Her blond hair tied in a knot in the back of her head, her long navy blue nurse’s dress flowing as she attends to her duties and her patients. Every lovely glimpse he gets is another reminder of how he desperately misses her and how in spite of having her so near it’s not enough.

After almost resigning himself to go see her, he hears sounds of shuffling outside of his tent. When he can clearly hear that the party has indeed stopped, he announces for them to identify themselves.

“Colonel Wheaton, my name is Samuels, I’m a courier from Colonel Monroe. I have an urgent message from him sir.”

Zachariah stands and opens the flap of the tent. In front of him is a young courier with a message in his hand. “Thank you private. Please, rest and eat before you return to your unit.”

“Thank you sir.”

Zachariah looks down at the letter and is surprised to see a note on the outside.

Dear Zachariah,

Please read this in the presence of Grace. It is imperative that she read this message and not be alone to do so.

Ezekiel

Zachariah looks at the short message and his heart sinks. Obviously this is not good news and it will possibly devastate Grace. His resolve to see his wife is now for a very different reason that his original plan. Without another thought, he gathers himself before exiting his tent and going to the back of the camp toward the hospital tent. He knows that Grace worked over night last night tending to patients and she should be alone in her tent.

Upon his arrival he can see a small flicker of light emanating out of the small crack between the two flaps of the entrance of her tent, meaning that she’s currently present inside.

“Nurse Wheaton, are you busy?” he announces his presence.

At the sound of her husband’s gruff and familiar voice, she smiles and her heart flutters with desire and longing for him to be near. “I am Colonel Wheaton. Please enter.”

She watches him as he enters and gives her a sad and foreboding look. It’s obvious that something’s wrong, then she sees the parcel in his hand. “What is that?”

“A letter from Ezekiel with explicit instructions to read it in your presence,” he says looking warily at her. She simply nods, bidding him to proceed without another word. Zachariah gently breaks the seal of the letter and he unfolds the parchment revealing the words enclosed. Gently he begins to read aloud.

March 30, 1864

Dear Zachariah and Grace,

I’m writing to inform you of a great tragedy. On March 16, 1864 Mary brought a beautiful little boy into this world. He’s healthy and full of life and spirit according to Isaiah. However following the birth of the child, there were complications and Mary began to hemorrhage. She lost an immense amount of blood, causing her to go into a coma. She was in the coma for thirteen days and never woke. On March 29, 1864 Mary lost her battle and succumbed to death in her sleep.

I am leaving now for Philadelphia. I do not know when I will be returning to my position with my unit. My heart is heavy with grief and right now my son needs one of his parents. Isaiah has informed me that the funeral will be held on March 31st, so I do not believe it will be possible for you to arrive in time and for that I’m sorry. Grace, please know that your cousin loved you dearly. As I know you will want to immediately mount your steed and gallop home, I do not believe that to be a good idea. Stay with your husband and your patients and know that we will be fine and your nephew, Emanuel James Monroe will be waiting to meet what will surely be his favorite cousin.