Chapter 2

Collin POV

It's finally here. The dreaded day has finally come. Everyone knows what happens to kids on their eighteenth birthday, and mine's today. As I look in the mirror and reflect on the image I'm staring at, I can't help myself but to recall my life. I was always made fun of growing up, because of the weird birthmark on my arm. I didn't really have any close friends growing up. I was considered the strange kid that no parents would let their kids play with. This led to the tall, scrawny, blond haired, and one blue one black eyed teen I am looking at right now. Tomorrow none of that matters, I'll be leaving my family to go off to the capital.

I don't know if I should be scared or excited to leave. I'll be leaving all the negativity and hatred for a fresh start. No one there will know me, or what I am. I'll be a normal teenager for once in my life. Okay, it's not fair for me to be saying this without telling you my story. My mother and father produced me seventeen years and three-hundred sixty-four days ago, and instantly regretted it. I was an accident, I wasn't supposed to be born. To make things worse, my left arm had a strange marking on it. My father wanted to dump me somewhere and leave me. Mother on the other hand loved me too much. My earliest memory is watching my father walk out on my mother. I was three years old. For years it was burnt into my brain, like it was playing on repeat in my head.

I started my first year in school right after that, which made my life even harder. All the other kids would make fun of me. Calling me dumb names like "Ink Arm" and "Markers." I hated school and all the people there. The only thing I looked forward to was going home to my mother.

These early years molded me into the man I am today. I shut out the world,, causing the social awkwardness I have today. My middle school years weren't any better, they were probably worse. I started to wear long sleeves to cover up my arm, but that didn't stop people from tearing me apart. I tried to stand up for myself a couple of times, but for some reason, having this mark on my arm made everyone more superior than me. I can remember the face of the kid who always bullied me, but not his name. He found out that I had a crush on a girl once. The next day was a living hell for me. From that point on I decided not to "love" anyone ever again.

High School was probably the most relaxed years. It seemed like everyone got bored with making fun of me, and moved onto the next weirdo. Don't get me wrong, I still had no friends. The only people I would talk to was my mother, teachers, and project partners. I finished High School two weeks ago, everyone ends two weeks before their eighteenth birthday. I was glad about this though, because it gives me more time with my mother before I had to leave.

I know everyone says they have the best mother or father in the world, but my mother wins that title by far. She would walk through hell just to make sure I had a smile on face. Not to mention that she died from a broken heart and came back so I would have a good life. She was always there for me as a shoulder to cry on, and a vault to keep my secrets. I don't know how I'll be able to leave her tomorrow; she is my everything.

As I finish looking in the mirror, I wrap up my thoughts. I try to convince myself that tomorrow won't be so bad. It's a fresh start, no one will know who I am. If I'm being forced to work for the government, I want to make a difference. I fully intend to do that.