Chapter 15

The party went without a hitch. Summer spent little time with Xanthe or her Dad. She kept up appearances but Xanthe knew it would not be pleasant. Dominic spent most of his time with Xanthe. It was all too clear to Summer that her father loved Xanthe. Why of all people did his new girlfriend have to be her best friend? All the guests left and Dominic took the girls to his car. Summer did not speak. It was going to be bad Xanthe thought. It made her feel sick.

They no sooner all entered the house and Summer started yelling.

"How could you? She is only two years older than me Dad!" she shouted "And you Xanthe! How could you be having sex with my Dad!" she continued. She looked from her Dad to Xanthe and back again. Xanthe burst into tears and ran to Dominic's room.

"Summer calm down" Dominic said "We did not plan to fall in love. We did set out to hurt you. Xanthe was there one night about six months after your Mum died" he continued. "I was drunk and alone and she just sat and listened for hours. She was what I needed to heal" Dominic explained.

"But Dad you both lied to me. I don't know how or if to forgive that." Summer said.

"Xanthe makes me feel whole again Summer. I love her so much. I want to be with her. I would like you to try to understand." Dominic said. "I am going to check on Xanthe now. I love you Summer. I hope you can accept our relationship. Sleep on it OK Goodnight." Dominic continued.

With that Dominic headed to his room to find Xanthe. He hoped she was OK. He thought that this night would have gone way better than it did. As he reached the bedroom he could hear Xanthe's sobs.

"Are you alright my love?" he asked softly.

He hugged her close and she cried. The tears kept flowing until she was absolutely exhausted. Dominic helped her out of her dress and tucked her into bed. He got into bed beside her and wrapped his arm around her waist. It had been an intense night. They fell asleep quickly.

Morning came around too quickly.  Xanthe woke up still in Dom's arms. She felt safe and loved. He was so protective of her, something she had never known from a man. She waited for Dom to wake before leaving the sanctuary of the bedroom. At least if he was awake he could intervene if necessary. Xanthe headed to the kitchen and made a pot of tea and toast. She had gone off coffee lately. As  she sat down to drink Summer came into the kitchen.

"Xanthe" she said bluntly.

"I'm so sorry Summer." Xanthe said.

"You shouldn't have lied." Summer said bluntly.

"I know Summer. We didn't plan on falling in love. We weren't sure if you would accept your Dad moving on. We never intended to hurt you. We both love you" Xanthe explained.

"Just give me time to get my head around this. And promise me no more lies." Summer said.

"No more lies" Xanthe replied. Dominic was standing in the doorway smiling. He had the best daughter and girlfriend in town. Xanthe however thought this was a little too easy. She had known Summer a long time and she had never forgiven so easily before. It was worrying.