Chapter 7

Carpe diem is used to urge someone to make the most of the present time and give little thought to the future. I learned the phrase near the end of my high school career - a time that I only focused on my schoolwork. My teacher said it and told me I would regret skipping out on all the parties, school dances and games to get ahead on assignments. At the time I thought she was ignorant because my hard work would be what got me into college but looking back now, I regret not doing those things. I missed out on so much and I don't want to do that again. I want to live in the moment.

It has been two weeks since Noah and I broke up. All of my belongings are in storage, minus my clothes which he had sent to the hotel. The plans for Jackson's building have been finished and need his approval before the contractors can begin construction. My assistant set up a meeting with him and John so I lay the plans out on the table before getting coffee for each of us. I am setting up the projector when they enter the room. "Good afternoon," I smile, shaking their hands. "Sorry for the short notice but I shouldn't be too long."

"It's no problem at all, Miss Smith," John replies with a polite smile.

"You look nice," Jackson says softly as he walks past me.

I can't help but smile at his comment. "Please, have a seat. These are the plans I've drawn. If you have a suggestion, please don't be afraid to speak up. I also have set up a virtual tour of the building which will give you a better idea of the layout."

I begin the tour, labeling all of the rooms. "I know I didn't ask for it but is there any way you could put a helicopter pad on top of the building?" Jackson asks.

"Of course," I nod. "The hotel I designed in Miami has one. I can just use the same plan."

"What about the material's being used? Will it be eco-friendly?" John asks.

I nod. "All of my buildings are eco-friendly. We use nothing but the most efficient products and used recycled materials when necessary. The windows on the building will be solar tempered glass so whenever the sun is out, the glass collects the energy. The glass is still completely transparent and has been found to be very durable. Plus, there will be a few solar panels located on the roof."

I continue with the tour and make comments about the structure and materials being used. In the end, Jackson will be the one to choose the more specific material types being used. When I ask their opinion on the landscaping, Jackson frowns. "Maybe we could put a fountain in the front. One with lights."

"We can do that. I'll work on it while the construction begins since it's the last thing we do," I say. "If you approve of the plans I can contact the contractor. You'll have to meet with him to pick out the paint, floors, cabinets, and other materials."

"You can just pick the materials," Jackson says.

John and I both look at him like he's crazy. "I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that," I say.

"I trust you," he says. "I've seen your work before."

I shake my head. "The owners always had a say in the design. You should too."

"Fine. You pick out the materials you believe would be best then we'll meet again for my approval," he suggests.

"Okay," I agree.

John clears his throat. "This is still going to be in our budget, right?"

"Yes, sir. We're not even close to the limit yet and I have an eye for good deals when it comes to materials," I smile.

"Good. I guess we're finished here," John says, standing up. "It was a pleasure as always."

I shake his hand. "Thank you for coming on such short notice. Have a nice day."