Meet the past to greet the future.

(Tom POV)

As i sat with Nicola looking at the photo of her and her sister with their parents, i couldn't help but realise how lucky i was. Even though my parents had divorced, at least i still had them to support my sisters and i as we grew up. Nicola had no one growing up, except for PC Firman, the police officer who had first found her after the accident and who had kept an eye on her growing up. Then it hit me.

"Hey, i know who you should ask to walk you down the aisle?"

"Who?"

"PC Firman!" I replied with a smile, as Nicola turned to look at me.

I have to admit i was not expecting her next answer, as she stood up and frowned.

"Why would i ask him!"

"I umm......" I now had to think fast and produce a good reason why she should ask him. "Because...... he has been the one constant person in your life."

"Tom. I'm not going to ask him, the last time i saw him was when i was sixteen and i told him to stop watching over me because he wasn't..... he....." she replied with tears in her eyes.

"Love, he may not have been your father. But he obviously cared for you like one. Just think about it. Are you coming down?" I said as i kissed her and headed for the attic door.

"I'll be down in a minute."

As i headed down to the kitchen my phone rang, as i looked at it i could see Hemsworth's name flash on the screen. I knew right away what Chris was ringing for.

"Hey" I answered

"So, did she like it?" He asked, sounding even more excited than Madison had been.

I could hear Elsa in the background asking as well. "Yes. Kirtlington Park on Saturday the third of December. Time and all other information to follow."

"That's great! Elsa, can you make sure we are free for the third of December. So now it all gets real."

"I am glad that you rang actually. I was wondering if you would be my best man?"

"Tom..... Of course, thank you." Chris replied as Nicola walked into the kitchen, carrying an old address book.

"Okay, well we will see you both soon anyway. Thanks Chris."

I watched Nicola closely as she filled the kettle for a cup of tea.

"Everything okay love?" i asked as i placed my phone down and wrapped my arms around her.

"Yeah. I was actually thinking that you might be right..... maybe i should ask Simon."

"Simon?"

"PC Firman." She said with a smile. "I will try to contact him tomorrow?"

We spent the rest of the evening just relaxing on the sofa both talking about our childhoods and sharing a bottle of wine.

***********************************************************************************************

(Nicola POV)

I sat staring at the open address book on my desk. I was thinking about how i was going to approach this? I had not talked to Simon in twenty years, let alone seen him. And now I was going to ring and ask him to walk me down the aisle! Tom had suggested that I just ring and ask to meet first. So that is what I had decided to do.

I felt nervous as the phone rang and was answered.

"Hello" the man's voice asked.

"Umm...... hello. I was wondering if this is PC Simon Firman?" I replied.