Chapter 8

Kian's POV

Don't spend your time caring about others who don't care about you.

That was the last thing my real mother ever said to me, after she ran away. My father used to beat her, almost every day. I remember sitting in my room with a stuffed animal dragon I named Dragon (because why not, and I was 4) while crying as I heard her scream, and his slams, slaps, thuds, and shouting. Dragon was my best friend until I met Scott, which was only 3 years ago, our sophomore year of high school. I thought Dragon was magical, and lucky (sounds stupid, right?) and I always thought my dad might kill her, so I asked him several times for her to be okay. My mother left 5 years ago, April 23, which was when I was in 8th grade. She said that to me with her hand on my shoulder, when my father wasn't home. I remember her dark brown hair was wavy, but messy in some areas. She was wearing a long sleeve black hoodie with some grey sweatpants, and she had a pink and white suitcase in her hand. That's when she left, I thought she was just going away on a trip for a while, but I think she's gone now. Later that night, my dad came home with a woman around her 30s or 40s. She had light blonde hair in an updo, she was wearing a super short black dress with some white high heels, and was smoking a cigarette. Both of them were clearly drunk.

"Where's your mother?" he asked, his breath smelling of alcohol.

"She's gone." I said, and he grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Why'd you let her leave!?" he shouted at me.

"I-I thought she was just going on a trip." he pushed me hard against the floor, and I had bruises on my knees for the next two weeks. That was the first time my father ever abused me. He married that woman, who I now call my "mother", but he hits her too. I spend a lot of my time away from him, which is easy, because he's usually gone. But the nights are the worst.

***

My heart was pounding, today was the first day we would be able to see Amber. I only brought Noelle with me, because she was close with Amber.

"Kian McCoy and Noelle Ravens to see Amber Lowe." I say to the woman at the front, and she has us sign in, then leads us down a long hallway with several doors. She stops at Room 53, and let's us in. Amber is sitting on a rocking chair, gently rocking it back and forth. Her brown hair looks like it's hasn't been washed in a while and looks like a birds nest. Her green eyes still have that beautiful sparkle, and she's wearing a white nightgown from the hospital. She looks beautiful.

"Amber!" Noelle shouts, running towards her, but Amber stares at the wall, as if she's trying to read it.

"Hey." I say, trying to get her attention.

Noelle sits on a white wooden stool, "Hey, I know you're not talking to us, but I really miss you. You've been gone for almost two weeks, but it's felt like forever. I know this place isn't helping you, but just stay strong for the next two weeks or so. I have to go, Kian, sorry, it's important." she got up from the stool and I nod at her as she walks out of the room.

I sit down on the same stool and look at Amber's green eyes, and how they shine in the little bit of light coming from the window. "I love you. But not like those cheesy movie 'I love you' I mean the I really mean it 'I love you'. I don't think they told you this, but when you were in the hospital, after your heart stopped, we were all sitting in the chairs outside. I was sure you were dead, and I wanted to be with you. I ran into the middle of the street, and Rey saved me, and his leg was hurt pretty bad. Later after that, Iris was going crazy about how she was hearing voices in her head, and she went to a hypnotherapist. I believe it was about her parents." Amber turns her head and finally looks at me, but doesn't say anything. "Why won't you talk to me?" I say, getting angry. She turns her head towards the wall again, and brushes her fingers against the bumpy paint. "Amber!" I shout, "You used to be this eccentric and exciting girl! What happened to her?!" I yell, throwing the stool across the room. I hear loud footsteps coming towards her room.

"Insanity." she says, and two men grab me by my arms and pull me out.

"Amber!" I scream, trying to resist the pull, "I love you!" and then she disappears around the corner.

---

Oh mannn.. getting violent😂 Anyway, next chapter's from Amber's POV so yeah 😏😏😏 and the first chapter of Safe is out so make sure to go check that out!