Chapter 4

Rey's POV

I have bruises on my right cheek and my arms. There's a cut on my nose and forehead that don't seem to stop bleeding. I put some gauze on and tape it. The bathroom door swings open, "Get, get out of here kid!" A plump woman angrily yells at me. I was staying at this strange diner, but I guess they found out. Noelle is walking down the street, and I run out to catch up with her.

"Hey!" I say.

"Oh, hello. What were you doing in there?" she asks, pointing to the diner.

"This? Um, just crashing there."

"Are those because of Wyatt?" she questions, touching the gauze.

"Yeah, don't worry, I'm fine."

"I was just going to the hospital, why don't you come with me?"

"What are you going to the hospital for?"

"To see Amber."

"What's she doing there?"

"She passed out or something." she says, and we enter the hospital. "Hi, I'm Noelle Ravens, here to see Amber Lowe." she says to the woman at the front desk.

"Sign here." the woman says, handing her a clipboard with a paper on it, saying date, name, time, and visiting. "Okay, room 105." We walk down a long hallway, and the door at the end had the number 105. Amber was laying on the hospital bed with a tube connecting to her arm.

"Eighth time," Amber laughs, "fun, isn't it? Then they're going to take me to a mental hospital, and then they'll--"

"Amber, this isn't funny. You have to get better!" Noelle shouts.

"Why? I'm better off dead anyway." she laughs. "There's no reason for me to stay here, my parents don't even care for me! If I died, nothing would happen, nothing would change. So why do I have to get better?"

"Amber, don't say that!"

"Well, why not?"

"Okay, I'm not sure about what's going on, but you do need to get better. It's your eighth time here. You don't want to end up here again, do you?" I say.

"Here's Rey, trying to be the hero! You know what, screw you! Screw you, Rey! You don't even care!"

"Amber!"

"No! You don't know me! You couldn't care less if I died!"

"We're just trying to help you." Noelle says, grabbing my arm and we leave the room. I softly kiss her on the forehead, and she smiles. When we exit the building, she asks, "Can we go to your place?"

"I, um, don't have a place."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, um... My mom was a drug addict, she died when I was 7 years old. My father was like that, too. He'd hit me sometimes, or lock the door and leave me outside. He knew I was out there, but he would just sit an watch a movie. When I was 14, he told me we were going somewhere for my birthday, and he drove me around here, dropped me off, and left. Sorry, I don't know why I'm telling you this."

"It's alright, I'm so sorry." she says, and opened the door to her house. "I'm home!" she shouts, and we head upstairs.

"What's wrong with Amber?" I ask, jumping onto her bed.

"Oh, don't worry about it."

"Noelle, be honest with me." I said, staring into her blue eyes, trying to read them.

"It doesn't matter." she says nervously.

"Then why would she fucking be in there?! Tell me the truth Noelle!" I shout furiously.

"Don't worry about it." she puts on her jacket, and storms out of the room.

"Noelle!" I yell, following after her. I run down the stairs and out the door. "Noelle!" but she was gone.

***

"How's your girl, Noelle, is it?" Scott asks. We're sitting at a table in a fast food restaurant. I'm sitting in one side and Scott and Kian on the other.

"I don't know." I answer, leaning my head against my arm.

"What do you mean, mate?" Kian pokes a fork into my food and takes a bite.

"I asked her what happened to Amber and she stormed out of the place." I say.

"Did she ever tell you?" Kian looks up hopefully.

"Yeah, Kian here's got a thing for her!" Scott says nudging Kian in the arm.

"Shut up, Scottie!" Kian nearly pushes Scott off the chair.

"She didn't tell me anything."

"Does Noelle know?"

"Pretty sure."

Iris Walters walks over and sits down next to Scott. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." Kian and I both mumble.

"Talkin' 'bout Rey's girl!" Scott says obnoxiously.

"Noelle? Oh I love her! She's so lovely!" Iris happily says.

"We're not exactly, um, dating. She hasn't broken up with Wyatt yet."

"Who cares, you guys are obviously together. Even Wyatt knows it." Iris' green eyes light up.

"There's your girl!" Scott yells, pointing to a girl outside the window. It's Noelle, walking down the street with her arms crossed. I run out of the place and chase after her.

"Noelle!" she turns around. I wrap my arms around her, and she laughs. Noelle grabs my hat and places it onto her head. "Can you please tell me what happened to Amber?"

"Fine." her expression goes from happy to serious, "she doesn't eat." she whispers. I start running towards the hospital.

"Rey, going to see Amber!" I shout at the woman at the front desk and run to room 105. Amber is laying on the bed asleep. "Amber!" I yell, but she doesn't answer. The ECG shows her heartbeat getting smaller and smaller. "Amber! Amber!" I scream.

Her heart stopped.