Chapter 35

As the three of us hurry down the stairs to the first floor we hear ramming of the gates and lots of shouting. I feel like I can distinctly hear Eden shouting commands, but that's so unlike her. Eden still lives the life of a student here, she doesn't know enough about survival to be ordering people around. When Will opens the door we see arms being brought out from the armory and are either placed on a cart or handed to men and women in defense. I dart my eyes to the doors and see a crack in the glass. I can feel the weight of Harry's sadness on my shoulders but there's no time to mourn the Safe Zone we have to move. I run to grab a bigger gun than my baretta, but Eden's hand touches mine. I look up and see a leader before me who was truly commanding soldiers. I've never felt worse for misjudging a character in my life.

"I'm proud." I nod to Eden. She nods back in response and picks up the shotgun we both touched.

"Okay people, if these doors open as we walk we're killing as many as we can. Move out!" Eden motions to the back doors and people push out guns, ammo, tools, and food armed and ready to fight. As they clear out Will moves toward me.

"We're lucky they've held up for this long, but these doors won't hold for more than another 10 minutes. What's the plan?" He asks.

"We're reinforcing defenses on these back doors, we're locking up the doors to our left and right, and covering windows." I say after a couple moments of thinking. Will nods and moves back into the armory to check for chains and locks.

"What about the bridge?" Harry asks.

"What?"

"The bridge from the second floor to ground level outside." Harry repeats. Suddenly everything becomes two times for difficult. It's not that we don't have a solution to the problem it's just that I have to ask my least favorite person to do me a favor.

"I've got it handled." I grumble running out of the door to Professor Roberts biology lab.