Chapter 41

"Rachael." I hear on the walkie. I jolt up from whatever sleep I was in. I feel the hard street underneath me as I scramble to get my walkie out from under my belt. I press the button and speak into it.

"Will?" But no response follows. I press the button again to speak, but a gunshot interrupts my train of thought. I jump up off the ground in alarm. It was nowhere close to me which makes me scared. My only thought is to sprint to where Will and Roberts are, hoping neither are the victim.

I put one foot on the ground and my body suddenly collapses back onto the ground. I unexpectedly scream out in pain. I don't seem to have full control of myself as hot tears start falling from my eyes onto my cheeks. I will myself to get up again and trudge through the pain. The salt from my tears sting the bullet wound on my face but I have to keep going. I try my best to jog even though the pain in my leg has doubled from the initial hurt.

I finally reach the two of them after 10 minutes of a limpy jog. I can make out the white and red of Roberts' back, but I can't see Will. My heart races and I pick up the speed. The rush of adrenaline does not completely mask the hurt but I don't care, I need to see Will.

"Will!" I scream, "Will! Will!" I keep shouting. Roberts turns around to me surprised, he quickly jumps to signal at me to be quiet. I shut my mouth and keep running, but as I look closer the sight looks worse and worse.

Fresh blood is splattered on the front of his coat and a gun is hanging limply in his hand and there's no Will next to him. I turn the corner and see the full view of my very fear. Will lying dead in the middle of the road with his head blown in.

"No!" I roar running and proceeding to falling on the ground because of my bad leg. I limp over to his lifeless body. Will, my friend, my crush, my boyfriend; I was finally letting him know I loved him and he got bit, he got shot. I pull myself closer to him to get a better look at the damage. I stroke his body and can't help myself to pick him up and hug him. My tears are burning now. The pain in my leg, the hurt in my heart fill me with rage. I didn't even get to say goodbye. The last thing I said to him was a command. I let go of the corpse and it drops back down on the pavement, "He was still alive wasn't he?"

"Well he-"

"Answer the goddamn question...for once." I bark.

"...yes." Roberts hesitates. I notice it's Will's gun that he killed him with, the one Will said he had one bullet left in, "He didn't have much time left though so-"

"He had plenty of time left." I challenge, "Depending on where the bite is, how deep it is, and how much energy is being used while the victim is alive depends on their time of death. The shoulder is not the protector of many vital organs, which means he had a lot of time. The bite was not deep at all since Harry pushed it off of him after a couple seconds, which means he had even more time. We were going slow and while Will was pretty angry he wasn't exerting too much energy into it, which means he could have lived until tomorrow. There should have been little to no symptoms of him looking like he was about to turn which means you killed him in cold blood with a clear conscious."

"You don't understand, Rachael. I didn't want to, he was asking for it. He told me to. I would've done it with my own gun if I wanted to kill him." Roberts lies.

"Not true. You don't have your own gun, you took his and shot him dead." I shake my head getting angrier by the second.

"He begged for me to kill him. I didn't think you could do it, I spared you, I-"

"Stop!" I snap again, "I know you! I thought you were better than all the things you've done but I was wrong. I had you down from the start. You're no good!"

"Rachael...think about what you're doing..." He cautions at me with his hands up. He drops the gun to present him as less than a threat, but he never looked like any danger to me. My unsteady hand is on my hollister.

"You can't tell me what to do anymore! You just can't! I've made 100 better decisions that you've ever made!" I fume. I take my baretta out and into action as I hold it straight to Roberts' face, safety off.

"Rachael!" He yells, "What will you do without me? You're alone! You're alone!"

"I will do everything without you, I don't need you. I never needed you, you were a handicap if anything. I kept you around after so many requests to kill you, to dethrone you. I kept saving your ass and you keep making me angry. I'm tired of it." I growl, "I'm going to find them and I'm going to lead them. I can do it. I will do it. I know you think I'm not capable but, I hate to say it, I learned from you. And you did it. I was told once that I'll be a great leader one day and now it's happening. And you know what? I could have killed him, I would've. You took that away from me so now this the end, but I want you to know: we'll be okay."

"You're alone! You're alone! You can't do anything right!" He screams at me, eyes wide mouth foaming. The sweat on his forehead makes his hair matt to his face and his glasses get foggy. But I'm over it, I don't sympathize with him anymore. I pull the trigger. His body thuds to the pavement horizontally to Will's corpse.

I scuttle over to Will and kneel down at his feet to shed one last tear for him. After a beat I get up and turn the other way. I saw some muddy footsteps in the way I was going before I collapsed. And so I walk to find the surviving bit of my family, praying they'll have me.