Chapter 37

I impatiently wait as Roberts finishes the bomb that could potentially save the school. He's anxious as he messily ties a cord around the nitric acid leading to the gasoline tank which has a pump attached to it. I wish I didn't have to ask him for this and knew how to do it myself. I would kill for just a couple minutes of wifi to google search this, but all I can do is restlessly tap my food against the floor hoping that everyone is safe and this will work out well.

"Done, take it." Roberts shouts holding up his creation, "You need to pump this handle to get that gasoline to mix with the acid. After that you only have a couple seconds until the-"

"Chemicals reject each other and explode from underneath the bridge. Got it." I finish, just so that he's sure I've paid attention all this time, "I don't know how I'll get underneath the bridge but I'll figure it out."

I turn to exit the lab with the bomb, but he stops me.

"Remember your promise, you can't break this one" He chides.

"I can do whatever I damn well please; I'm saving people out there while you wanna test dead human flesh." I challenge knowing that I don't have enough time to fight with him. He brushes it off and clears his throat.

"You'll need a partner, we won't be able to carry all of it ourselves. Bring that Will boy with you when you come." He commands. I am fuming with anger, but I have no time to spare so I make it quick.

"Okay, but if I'm not back in 15 minutes then get out of here. We may not be on the same page anymore but you don't need to die." I plead.

"What happened to your face?" He asks after my advice floats over his head, but I don't have time for small talk. I warned him and if he doesn't listen then we don't have to worry about feeding an unnecessary body.

+ + +

I sprint through an empty campus that now looks like a ghost town but I'm proud that my friend could come out of her shell and get people to safety. I hope Harry went along with Eden after he cleared out the halls. I know I asked him to chain the place up but he doesn't know what he's doing and it would just give me a peace of mind to know that he's safe out of here. But I know Harry, better than I did before shit hit the fan, and he didn't go anywhere; I just hope he'll be out soon.

I run up the bridge to plant the bomb. I thought of bringing some trusty tools like a hammer and duct tape to help me out. I crouch down and whip out the hammer and start to hit the bridge. As it starts to give away I stand up and kick at it with the heel of my shoe. I give it one last stomp and a hole opens in the bridge. The woods pieces go flying down and so does my foot as I don't stabilize myself on my back leg. My leg falls through the hole and I fall forward slamming my chin into the bridge. Luckily my hole wasn't big enough for my entire body to fall through. I push myself up, but something from the second floor windows catches my eye. I dart my head in the direction but whatever I saw is gone now. I brush it off and grab the bomb and place it in the hole being careful not to puncture it on the wood. I duct tape the homemade weapon to the bridge with only seconds left. I realize I'm not fast enough to dart the the edge of the bridge in time before the bomb goes off. I let go of the project and run the other way, up the bridge to the entrance just as I hear the chemicals in the bottle react. I pull the door open as the bomb goes off but I'm not fast enough to pull myself in. I drop to the floor unexpectedly as pieces of wood fly explode off the bridge. The glass door closes after me as the bridge collapses. I turn around and watch it fall and find a plank of wood by my foot. I feel the back of my head for any injuries, as soon as my finger touches my head I wince in pain. I must have taken a plank to the head during the explosion and all this adrenaline running through my veins made me numb to impact. I get up and shake it off since I can't just sit here in a doomed building all day. I push through the second glass doors and am met with the worst smell I've ever let enter my nostrils in my life.