Chapter 8

The next few days went by quickly. Jack prepared for Tartarus, and after several arguments he finally convinced the demigods to let him go. Of course they wanted to send a couple of demigods with him, but Jack had a strong will, and convinced them he would be just fine on his own. For all he cared they could IM him and watch what would happen.

It only took Frost about a day to get to the entrance to Tartarus, and it took a few more just to accomplish reaching the pit. Once he got down there though, he made a beeline towards Tartarus. Of course he knew that the demigods had taken his offer and were watching his progress through an IM.

Jack finally reached Tartarus' home after a few days of trekking over the terrain. Had there been a demigod with him it would have taken twice as long.

Jack knocked on the door. He was greeted by Tartarus with a pat in the back and an invitation into his home.
"So Jack, how are you? Its been a few months since I've last seen you."

"I've been better, but I always end up fine don't I?" Jack said.

"I assume this is not a social call, Jack."

"And you are correct. I have a simple question for you..." Jack paused "Why are you waging war against the gods?"

Tartarus sighed, "I am sick of the gods sending demigods into my domain. Several quests have ended up here, Jack. They are ruining young demigods lives!"

Jack balked, he had not expected that. "Tartarus, my friend, there are better ways to fix this. You could talk to the gods directly".

Tartarus looked at him incredulously. "You are working for them aren't you? Jack, you are known for being a neutral deity. What did you get your self into?"

"I've made a deal with the gods-" Jack was cut off.

"My boy! You know better than that!" Tartarus exclaimed.

"You didn't let me finish. If I help them win this war, they will never call for my help again. I will go and do as I please. No more quests. No more being the hero. I leave and I never have to see a demigod again".

"Well that's nice and all but you gotta understand, the gods never keep their promises Jack, you will never be left alone. And how did they get you anyways?"

"They think I am Perseus Jackson" Jack grumbled.

"Well, aren't you?" Tartarus asked cautiously.

Ice creeped up the walls, Jack was furious. "No. I used to be him. But I am far from the naive little demigod I used to be. I don't want to ever be know as the Hero of Olympus. I'm done with that. No one understands, I am not him. And I will never be him" Jack hissed.

Tartarus nodded. "I understand."

Jack stood abruptly "I should be going." He wished farewell to Tartarus and made the trek out of the pit, simply flying out.