Chapter 1

A girl with unkempt blonde hair nodded in satisfaction at the sight of her belongings all neatly kept away in her room, without her needing to lift a finger.

She looked at her wrist for the umpteenth time, and the 'control' kanji stared back at her. She had a near death experience during the eclipse, and according to what she heard, it will continue throughout her one year in this school – but she thought it was worth it.

'After all,' she thought to herself. 'I can finally choose what I want to do. And then, I'm going to survive through this and graduate – and I'll live my life the way I want, not how my parents want.'

Her room had only her in it – she was informed that her roommate died. It only served to remind her how close to death she was in this school, but she looked at her kanji again, and resolved to get through it.

She adjusted her uniform, glancing at the mirror before wincing. 'My hair...'

She'd like to think she wasn't too vain – not like her mother, and the other women and their daughters that her mother were 'friends' with, endlessly chasing after the latest fashion and spending ages painting their faces and primping themselves. But now that her once beautiful hair was gone, she felt upset and angry, and decided she could settle the score, once and for all, with the stranger with bright eyes.

With a decisive nod, she made her way out of her room and into the corridors, beginning her quest. She caught sight of a red-haired girl, one that she recognised as her classmate, and asked her first.

"Sorry," she said. "Have you seen a boy, around this height," she drew the height with her hand, "- with bangs and bright eyes?"

"B-bright eyes?" The girl blinked.

Misaki simply nodded to affirm her words.

"No, I'm sorry, but I haven't seen someone like that."

With nothing useful, she was about to leave when the girl placed her hand on her arm. "Wait, you're... you're from Class 1, too, right?"

She nodded.

The girl broke into a smile. "I thought I recognised you! I am so relieved you made it out okay! Let's stick together; there's strength in numbers. What's your name?"

She was a bit stunned to see an utter stranger so friendly to her, but quickly recomposed herself. "Kanade Misaki. Please call me Misaki."

The girl continued smiling radiantly. "Nice to meet you, Misaki-chan! I'm Hirasaka Aira, but call me Aira."

Bowing her head and giving a slight smile, heartened by a cheerful classmate, Misaki made her way further down the corridors, asking others the same question about a tall boy with bright eyes. Upon asking many people who did not provide her any useful information, she felt a slight twinge of regret, regretting how she did not bother to ask for his name, or remember more distinctive features besides his bright eyes.

Finally, a girl with long, straight dark hair could answer her question. The girl was taller, and carried herself with poise and dignity. At the back of her mind, Misaki couldn't help but think how much this girl would gain the immediate favour of her parents, before pushing the thought out of her mind and concentrating on the task on hand.

'Stop it, Misaki. You're away from them now, and you have to find the boy who made you lose your hair and forced you to be indebted to him.'

The dark-haired girl thought for a moment. "That height, with bangs and ... 'bright eyes', you say?"

She nodded.