Chapter 15

The next few days passed in a blur of lessons, studying, researching, and before long, fake Yama's underlings made their move.

A few government officials pulled up along the front of the school, and using their kanjis, they opened a maze below the school. Students crowded around the abyss, peering down at the stairs, while the officials stood guard at the maze, forbidding students from entering.

"Sis mentioned that it was for construction purposes," Sanjuurou muttered to his friends.

"More like research purposes," Krishna scoffed before running up towards the entrance of the maze.

"What is a child doing here?!" the officials exclaimed while Krishna tried to shove past them.

"Let me in!" Krishna cried indignantly.

Sanjuurou ran forward, swooping the chibi in his arms, bowing his head in greeting and apology to the officials.

"Hinata-kun?" Misaki heard the official say as her group of friends made their way forward. "Aren't you removed from the mission?"

"Yes," he said as he set Krishna back on the ground. "But the school has sent me to go down as inspector. My friends and I will be just making a few rounds."

"But," the official flipped through his book. "I didn't see your name – "

"Let me see that," Sanjuurou snatched the book away from the official, ignoring his protest.

He flipped through the pages, and jabbed at the page he found, showing it to the officials. "Isn't it my name here?"

"But...?" the official blinked, staring at the book. "I swear I didn't see this..."

"Never mind, let's look at the system records, shall we?"

Without waiting for the official's approval, Sanjuurou grabbed the nearest computer, clicking through files until he reached a file with his name under the inspector column.

The official still looked unconvinced. Sanjuurou looked over his shoulder, sending a look to Misaki. She got the hint and took a step forward, crossing her hands.

"Is there a problem with us being the inspectors?" she spoke in crisp English.

The official jumped, whirling around and looking at her with wide eyes. "Kanade-san's daughter?!"

"Yes," she said, reverting to Japanese. "Both physical and electronic records show Sanjuurou's name. Is that enough proof for you, or would you like my parents to hear about this?"

"No, no!" the official hurriedly exclaimed. Then he cleared his throat. "Very well, Hinata-kun, you may pass."

Sanjuurou grinned, clapping his shoulder. "One step closer to promotion. See you later."

He placed his hands in his pockets, leisurely making his way down the stairs and gesturing his friends to follow him. The six of them (plus chibi Krishna) began their ascend down the stairs, marveling at the elaborate walls.

"Wow," Rokudou said after they were out of the officials' earshot. "It's been a while since Misaki-chan was so scary."

(Misaki took it as a compliment.)

"Still," Rokudou said, smiling nervously. "I didn't know your kanji had such powers."

"... Run," Sanjuurou suddenly said, breaking into a run as they rounded a corner.

Confused, the rest began running after him, venturing deeper underground.

"The effects of 'deception' won't last long!" he shouted over his shoulder. "We have to create some distance between us before they realize we're not supposed to be here."