Chapter 5

When Misaki opened her eyes, she found herself lying down at where she last was. She sat up slowly, blinking. Then she remembered – Tomonaga, Rokudou and his heart, Aira, Sanjuurou.

She hastily stood up, stumbling in her haste, and navigated her way to another corridor. She saw a hint of green hair in front of her, prompting her to quicken her pace while calling for Sanjuurou.

She hesitated when she got closer. Sanjuurou was frowning, fists clenched as he stared at inner Rokudou. Inner Rokudou was looking back at Sanjuurou impassively, his hands and the front of his shirt stained with blood.

"Rokudou," Misaki said, trying to ignore the blood. "Why you are covered in blood?"

Then she spotted Tomonaga laying behind inner Rokudou lying in a pool of blood.

At once, she felt a wave of nausea. But with morbid curiosity, she inched forward, trying to get a better look at Tomonaga.

"Don't go closer!" Sanjuurou commanded.

"Why – "

"Rokudou-kun! Hinata-kun! Misaki-chan!" Aira said as she appeared, running up to Sanjuurou and Misaki.

Sanjuurou repeated his warning, stopping Aira. Aira shot Misaki a worried glance while Sanjuurou took a step forward, questioning inner Rokudou.

Inner Rokudou merely smiled, bringing his hand to his chest and told them to give 'Momiji-kun' a warm welcoming before he faded. In a burst of light, the real Rokudou appeared, falling to the ground.

"He's alive!" Aira cried happily, kneeling before Rokudou, cradling him in her arms.

Sanjuurou frowned, taking a deep breath.

"What's wrong?" Misaki asked.

His jaw tightened.

"Nothing, I'll tell you guys tomorrow," he said curtly before walking off.

* * *

The next day rolled about, and Misaki woke up to see the arrival of her summer uniform hanging outside her room door. She put on the uniform and got through lessons as per usual, and when classes ended for the day, she met up with Aira in Sanjuurou's room.

As promised, he told them about his suspicions regarding Rokudou, sighing heavily. "... In any case," he concluded. "Just stay away from Rokudou when he changes."

"He's your roommate," Misaki said, arms crossed. "You don't trust him?"

"It's not Rokudou I don't trust; it's his inner self."

"But isn't he our ally?" Aira asked.

"He's Rokudou's ally," he corrected. "You saw what he did – he took Tomonaga's heart. The two of you saw Tomonaga dead and Rokudou's inner self with hands covered in blood, right?"

Aira uneasily nodded.

"Well then." Misaki straightened up, making a move to go. "If that's all... I'll be heading to the infirmary now."

"Why, Misaki-chan? Are you hurt?" Aira looked at her, titling her head.

"No, I'm just paying a visit."

When she got to the infirmary, Mikotogawa was talking to Tatsumi. She had light eyes in place, and she was beaming.

Earlier on in the day, when Misaki ran into Noa, Noa informed her that Mikotogawa would be getting artificial eyes set in. Out of pity, gratitude, and even a bit of guilt for joining Tomonaga for a short while, Misaki agreed to pay Mikotogawa a visit.