03. MAKE EYE CONTACT

The next day, when they saw each other, Josh's face was half covered in bruise and walked with difficulty, but that didn't seem to bother him as he had a big smile on his face when he saw Tyler.

Tyler felt sick, already knowing who was the one who hit Josh. He was angry, but he shouldn't act when he was angry. It was just a matter of time since his supposedly dad would be in jail. But Josh's smile was warming his heart, and he was wondering how in earth he is still smiling even with everything he's living through. Needless to say, Tyler was amazed by Josh.

"Hello Tyler !"

Josh's cheerful voice made him smile, and he answered.

"Hey there, pumpkin."

Around them, people were shocked to hear Josh talking for the first time.

Josh moved on his feets, feeling all the glares on him, anxious. Tyler understood and he wrapped his arm on Josh's shoulder as he shot a death glare to everyone. He tried to ignore Josh's flinching when he touched him, but he couldn't and he just felt even more sad for Josh. He truly didn't deserve this.

"I've got you something !"

Josh was still anxious but Tyler's act called him a bit.

"Oh yeah, pumpkin ? Can I see ?"

"I tried to make cookies when I got home. I did just like you did."

Josh opened a box and there was a cookie.

"Sorry I couldn't give you the others. It was the only one that my dad didn't... throw away."

Tyler's eyes went wide.

"Oh no, Josh it's okay. It looks so tasty, thanks for making them for me."

"That's what friends are for, right ?" Josh said with a hopeful voice.

"Yeah, Josh. That's very nice of you."

Tyler took the cookie and bit it, feeling the taste invade his mouth. This was so good.

"Also, I couldn't help myself and added colors. Thought they looked pretty. I only put the colors I thought you would like."

Josh's smile was so big and so cheerful, it made you almost forget of the awful bruises on his beautiful face.

The cookie was yellow, mostly. There was other colors but yellow was the one who stuck out the most.

"I like yellow, as you can see."

The only thing Tyler could think was that if Josh was a cookie, he would be this one. All colors and sweet, and a bit awkward (the cookie didn't have the exact form of a cookie). And so so good.

Josh frowned, Tyler didn't say anything.

He looked sad.

"You don't like it ?"

"Josh." began Tyler, a bit too seriously for Josh's liking.

Josh was waiting for something like "don't ever go to a kitchen. This is so bad, did you try to kill me ?" and when he heard Tyler's actually answer, he couldn't really believe himself.