04. MAKE SMALL TALK

Josh was strange, but active. No one knew how to describe it better than with these three words. Strange, but active.

After this day, it seemed like they bonded. Josh seemed to like Tyler even more (even though he thought it was impossible) and Tyler seemed to appreciate Josh even more.

They were always seen together and if one was alone, you can know that the other one is no far.

Tyler was Josh's everything. He was his world; he has been his first friend, he has been the one to show him cookies; the first time he went at a friend's house. Tyler was like the chance of discovering a whole new world.

Tyler, on the other hand, already knew this - the cookies, the come-over, the friendship - but he loved showing this to Josh. He loved being Josh's first time to everything.

The days were spent peacefully, Tyler now never leaving Josh's side, afraid other bullies would come bother Josh. He still doesn't forgive himself for not being here for Josh, even though the smaller one always told him it was okay, with a big smile.

Josh seemed happier too, even though Tyler knew it wasn't real. He knew Josh was strong but still, he saw those moments where Josh would just look ahead of him, looking lost in thoughts, he saw how Josh would flinch whenever he touched him or someone got close, he saw how we would get scared whenever there are yellings and fights, but he also saw how he would try to hide it by a smile or a laugh. But Josh wasn't used to hide it, since no one never really cared about him, so Tyler always knew whenever Josh was upset.

He became the dad Josh never had, always taking care of him. Tyler hoped they become something more, though.

Tyler didn't love Josh, but he is on the way there.

Would have been Josh someone else, Tyler doesn't think he would have fallen, and not this quickly. Would have been Josh less delicate, fragile, less what makes Josh, Josh, he would have been indifferent. But Josh wasn't like the others, he never took care of someone, but with Josh, he loved doing it. And he looked forward to do it all his life. Just to see Josh's smile again.

Now school was finished and they were in their way home, when Tyler asked Josh to come over again.

"Hey, pumpkin ?" asked Tyler.

"Yeah ?"

"Do you want to come over ?"

"Again ?" Josh giggled. "Of course I want, silly."

"But what about your father ?"

Tyler didn't miss the flinch, but acted as if he didn't see it. He didn't want to scare Josh by asking questions about his so-called father.

"Meh," answered Josh. "He won't say anything, he isn't home right now. In fact, he isn't home the whole week."

Josh sounded relieved and Tyler felt sad, because no one should be relieved to be away from their parents.

"So, can we go now ?" added Josh eagerly, already forgetting all about his dad.

"Yeah sure."

Josh happily smiled and bounced on his feet.

"Can we make those cookies again ? They were so good !"