Chapter 8-Time

"She was strong for too long..."

Two weeks later

The doctor's results came out just exactly as he expected. Because of the car accident Jared's memory was somewhat affected. So far, no one could say how badly, because he couldn't quite talk too much, but it was something there.

As much as everyone wanted to say he was okay, he really wasn't. Anka was dividing her time between her newborns, little Jay and Jared and every time he saw her come inside his room he was simply staring at her, confusion spread all over his face.

The only people he recognized were his mother, Emma, Tomo and Shannon. The rest was a blur to him.

"How are you feeling today Jay?", asked Shannon as he pulled in a chair next to his bed.

"Confused.", mumbled Jared.

His speech was affected by all the plugs and he couldn't really turn his head to even look at his brother, so he settled for staring at the ceiling.

"The doctor said you're doing amazing progress, and that they'll disconnect you from the machines in a couple of days. If you're worried about the media, it's already taken care of. Me and the crew have been working on overdrive these past weeks...Anka said she will come later on to see you. The kids are doing fine. Everyone chipped in to help."

"Shan...I'm so sorry...but who is this woman? I don't know her...I don't remember her...maybe...if you tell me something about her...I might remember..."

"Anka's your wife...and the mother of your children."

"Children? Wife? She tells me about children...but I don't want to talk to her...I don't know her..."

"Yeah, she told me about that...you should want to talk to her too. You know...she's very disappointed when you don't wanna talk to her. But she gets it. You're confused."

"I feel like she is...she has this sad face all the time...I don't want her to be sad...but...I can't help it...

"You'll remember. I'm sure you will...you have to man. You're Jared Leto and when you set your mind to something then you do it."

"She is nice...but I don't think she is the woman I would end up spending my life with...and kids...how many do I have?"

"Three. There's little Jay, but that's a different story and the twins. You'll meet them when you feel better...", said Shannon in a calm tone.

Shannon's tone made Jared feel even more concerned. In his head he never imagined himself having kids or a family. He imagined growing old, having a dog or two and that was it. As he was processing the information he had been fed with the last two weeks, he realized he couldn't digest it. It felt too perfect, too real for him.

He wasn't cut out to be a father, not even for one child, let alone three and that was the thought implemented in his head. Most of the times he was a loner. He loved spending days on end in the mountains, climbing, hiking, he loved his work. A family just didn't fit into that picture.

As he was trying to imagine himself with a family of his own, driving a minivan, the door opened. In the doorframe stood his 'wife'. Anka was looking beautiful today. Her dark, long hair was swept backwards and pulled up into a ponytail, letting her cheekbones pop out.

She wore no makeup and Jared noticed as she came closer that she had deep, dark circles underneath her eyes. In a way it felt sad to him to see her like that. It was clear she cared about him a lot.