one

The upbeat pop music played obnoxiously loud throughout the house as drunken teenagers swayed their sweaty bodies to the rhythm

Stefan stood towards the back of the crowd, forest green eyes scanning the room. He was sure whether he was looking for someone to take home or if he was looking for a snack. He didn't seem to care either way.

A stage had been set up near the stereo system, a few tipsy bodies dancing to their heart's content high above everyone else. But one in particular seemed to catch his attention.

Her black and gold glittery dress seemed to reflect the lights that shone around the room. Her long blonde hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall.

"Stefan!" The familiar voice of Caroline Forbes called out to him. "Hey. I didn't think you were coming."

"Yeah, I didn't think I was coming either," he answered, not paying his full attention to the girl in front of him. Instead he focused on the girl in the glittery dress, dancing to her heart's delight on the table.

"You haven't replied to any of my texts or calls. Or anyone's, for that matter," Caroline grabbed his toned arm.

"Sorry about that. I broke my phone. I figured if I can't talk to Gen anymore, who am I gonna call? And then I realised, well, there's Damon, Bonnie, and you."

"We're worried about you, Stefan. You've been acting different ever since she left."

"Don't be. I'm fine."

The blonde let out a deep sigh, muttering something along the lines of whatever you say, before walking away and joining the party.

Stefan's forest green eyes averted back to the table but the girl was no longer there. He scanned the room with eyes like a hawk, searching through the crowd of hundreds for a single face, but to no avail.

He let out a loud sigh, much like Caroline had, before he turned and headed towards the door. It wasn't until he was a few feet away that his eyes caught hers.

They were as bright and full of excitement as the day he met her. As if under her compulsion, he felt his feet dragging him towards her. His mind was racing; he didn't know what to think.

What was he supposed to say to her after 2 years?

He'd gone longer without speaking to someone, yes, but he hadn't been madly in love with them like he had been with her.

Stefan rounded the corner where she had disappeared, only to be met with disappointment and an empty room.