five

Their naked bodies laid on the soft mattress, legs entwined, with the thin material of his sheet covering them

Their naked bodies laid on the soft mattress, legs entwined, with the thin material of his sheet covering them. His arms were wrapped her, absentmindedly tracing patterns into her skin.

"You never called back," Stefan finally broke the silence that had fallen between them.

"I'm sorry."

"I left you dozens of messages and not once did you respond," he sat up abruptly, "and all you have to say is sorry?"

"I don't know know what else to say," Genevieve sat up and shrugged.

"You can start with the truth because I know you wouldn't just ignore me 2 years because you were laying low."

"You're right." She shrugged again. "You want the truth? The truth is I never called you back because I couldn't. I had a dagger in my heart."

Stefan was quiet for a moment, unsure of how to respond.

"Klaus got to you?"

"No. Well, yes, but it was my choice," she waved her hand around in dismissal. "He found me and I took your advice; I told them the truth. And then Rebekah came clean. I said my goodbyes and then he put the dagger through my heart."

"Why didn't you just tell me that when you came to say goodbye?"

"I knew you'd be angry with me. I've been alive for over a millennium but you are the only home I've ever known. I didn't want to lose that."

"I tried to forget you, and I tried to move on but I can't. Every time I even start to move on, I see something that reminds me of you and I realise that I'm not ready to let go," Stefan admitted with a shrug of his shoulders.

"So don't," she grabbed his hands. "Because I'm not ready to let go either, and this time I'm not going anywhere. I promise."

He leant over and pressed his lips against hers. The action, though simple, made her feel all sorts of ways she couldn't quite explain.

"I love you," she whispered.

A smile grew on his lips, "You have no idea how long I've waited to hear you say that."