Chapter 24: Nothing Good Happens After 2AM

Chapter 24

Nothing Good Happens After 2AM

Imogen's POV

My phone goes off and I roll over on my bed to answer it. I check the time to see its 3AM and shake my head as I see the contact name.

"Joey, didn't you mother ever tell you nothing good happens after 2AM," I joke while sitting up straight to talk to him. I'm actually slightly ecstatic that he chose to call me this late after hanging out with Joe.

"Imogen," his voice is scratchy and I can't tell if he's still drunk or if he's been crying or if it's been both.

"Are you okay?" I ask concerned.

"K-Karen," he struggles to get out, "I called Karen."

My eyes widened and suddenly my heart rushes to a skidding stop. I'm standing at the edge of the cliff at the moment struggling to hold on and unfortunately Joey is the one holding the rope.

"What the fuck?" I ball my hands into fists and turn to the wall wanting to punch it, but I stop myself knowing I can't damage the apartment for it's not mine.

"I-I'm sorry," he lets out a wail and I try to understand what happened in the eight hours we were apart.

"You told me not to worry about her," my voice cracks as I feel like an idiot for the first time in my life. A great big idiot for believing Joey.

"No, I know. And I was right. It wasn't her you needed to worry about. It was me."

I bite my lip and shake my head.

"You're not thinking straight, Joey. Go get some sleep and sober up, okay? We can talk about this later." I want to push this far away. They didn't do anything, I tell myself, it was just a silly little call.

"I want to break up," for the first time in the conversation Joey's voice is stern.

"What?" My lungs cave in and I'm choking on water. Unable to breathe I allow myself to suffocate.

"I want to break up. I'm dating Karen again."

His words don't make sense and I shake my head.

"I told you I loved you literally 8 hours ago Joey. And you said I love you back," I growl my sadness getting replaced with anger.

"I do love you," he lets out a sigh and my heart is slightly put back together until he continues to speak. "But, I love her more." Those words pierce my skin and cut my heart out. I'm serving my heart to him on a silver platter.

But, not anymore.

Fuck that, fuck love.

"If that's the case then you're right. We do need to break up. Because, here's the thing Joey, I am never someone's second choice. I should be your only choice. And if there's more than one I want you to choose the other one, because that's not fair to me. So Joey, I'm breaking up with you." There's a certain amount of vile in my mouth that I have never held towards anyone before, not even my parents. And they are shitheads sometimes.

"What..." He trails off and I can almost picture his crooked smile turning to a frown. "But, I was breaking up with you..."

"Oh how the tables turn. Goodbye, Joey," I spit out the last sentence before hitting the end call button with as much force as I can muster.

I spin around and throw my face into my pillow to let out a heart wrenching scream.

Fuck. Mother was right nothing good happens after 2AM.

I want to climb out of bed and knock on Meredith's door to explain to her what just went down. But, there's nothing to explain. A heart was broken and another heart was given a new love.

Life seems to have a funny way of helping me out. How cruel is it to have love then to have it snatched away from you. Only, I don't even know if what either of us felt was love.

Now that I think about it, I'm glad I don't have Joey in my life anymore. Because, he clearly has emotional problems that need to be looked into. Sure he's cute and romantic—sometimes—but he doesn't know how to stand up for himself. And he's never going to be the one for me.

Perhaps that's, because there isn't a one for me.

If Joey asked me if I believed in soul mates now, I'd tell him a hard no. No, I don't believe in soul mates. I believe you pick a random fucking person, just for fun, and decide hey they're nice, I'm nice, let's start dating and fuck each other's lives up.

So good luck to Joey as he screws up not only his life, but also the life of the girl he "loves".

----***----

A/N:

Yes. This the title is also a title from How I Met Your Mother.

Yes. I love that show.

Yes. I learned that philosophy that "nothing good happens after 2AM"

No. I did not recently re-watch that episode.

No I did not intentionally copy it. It just happened lol.

Any HIMYM fans catch the reference?
I really do want to go re-watch it now tho hehe

Holy crap guys.
I will admit I almost forgot to update. I'm so sorry! I could have sworn I already updated but then I hadn't sooo awkward.

My apologies also this chapter is short whoops.