Twenty One: We Fell Apart, Let's Make a New Start.

"Are you sure you don't need a ride back?" Violet asked for the millionth time as I wheeled my luggage behind me, she and Matt's car located on the opposite side of the airport. "It's really no trouble at all, Di."

"No, I need the time to think, anyway. I've got some decisions to make, after all," I sighed, "But, thank you for offering."

"I'll text you sometime this week and we'll get coffee, maybe?" she suggested before giving me a light hug. "Bye, Di!"

I stopped walking and observed my surroundings, dreading the Uber I was about to book and pay for. Cara and Jimmy were hand in hand, approaching the exit quickly and without a care in the world. Brian and Charlotte were also walking briskly, only because Charlotte had a deadline approaching and Brian was more than supportive of helping her anyway he could. Johnny, meanwhile, was flying out to Austin to meet up with his new girlfriend and already had his nose in the book I'd recommended him.

And after this whirlwind that was the last two weeks of my life, Zack's warm smile as he approached was certainly comforting, something I hadn't thought possible not too long ago.

"Need a ride, Dawson?" He asked, one hand carrying his numerous keys and the other carrying his suitcase.

"I was just going to take an uber, so I could think things over..."

"No way," he dismissed immediately. "That's not worth your money, babe. I'll take you home."

"I dunno-"

"It's on the way, and maybe I'm just trying to avoid a couple of different stressful things of my own, but I really don't mind," he assured me, giving me an earnest smile.

"Well, if you insist," I finally gave in, giving him a small smile.

After another half hour of waiting for the airport traffic to clear out, we were finally cruising down the highway, our destination my new home. "So, what's on your agenda?" I dared to ask as the final notes from About a Girl by Nirvana faded out.

"Everything," he sighed. "I mean, we've one more week until we head into the studio to write and record, plus all the shit with Jourdan I have to deal with. I also need to find a new co-designer for my clothing line--"

"You have a clothing line?!" I asked in both genuine curiosity and awe. He reached into the back seat and produced a black hoodie that I recognized instantly, as he wore it for most of the tour. On the back in gothic lettering spelled out "Vengeance University, est. 6661," with his signature directly beneath it. 

"I just tested it out on our last full tour and with this small one and it's doing pretty well, I'm almost out of stock," he grinned. "But, Cara helped me get it started before she took that position at Vogue, so now I'm back to square one."

"Z, I can help you, you know..."

"No, you've got enough on your plate with the gallery and touring--"

"It's really no trouble at all," I assured him. "Trust me, I've already got a handful of pieces started for the gallery, and tour management as of now is finished until further notice. You can look through my portfolio, too, and get an idea of what you think I'd be capable of."

"You're amazing, you know that?" he replied, sighing with relief. "One less thing to worry about."

"You don't know that. I may be the worst designer you ever meet."

"No way, I have total faith in you. I still have that little skull you made in your studio class from high school, you know."

I gave him a sideways glance. "No way."