Thirty Three: Let it Go, and Let Live.

so I've agonized about this chapter for a while now. There's now three versions of this chapter, but this one was the one I felt conveyed the right emotions and propels the story along a bit better than the other two. so, after too long, here it is :)

*******************************************************************

"That was, by far, the fastest load-out I've ever seen!" Flyzik commented with a chuckle, noting my anxiety-fueled rush about the trailer. I set the alarm code and got the makeshift garage secured. Flyzik had no idea that I was about to deal with a shitstorm and probably chalked it up to me wanting to get the afterparty underway. Or maybe, he chalked it up to my nerves for hosting such a large event in our half-way finished space.

He didn't really comment further, though, for which I was grateful. Instead, he led the way back inside. I closed the heavy metal doors with an equally heavy sigh. If I never turned around, I wouldn't have to face the wrath of my scorned, former best friend. Who I knew, really, was just looking out for her own childhood friend. I just didn't understand the six-year grudge, the fake sincerity, all these false appearances she maintained with me if she'd really felt so nasty after all these years.

Perhaps it was time I finally found out.

Turning on my heel, I carefully looked over the crowd, trying to spot her signature blue hair, deeper than the scene's popular glacier blue, but bright enough to not be mistaken, either. Curls, she wore them in carefully coiffed curls tonight, I reminded myself as I kept searching the floor.

My eyes reached the door then, and I froze. She was hugging our friends, most likely on her way out after giving Zacky yet another lecture about why he shouldn't be anywhere near me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and began to weave my way around the swaying bodies dancing to some club mix of the newest top 40 hits. Along the way, I hoped to find more courage, and maybe a bit more resolve. I could feel the anger and insecurity swirling together in the pit of my stomach and knowing my temper, it was a recipe for disaster.

Before I arrived at the exit, Violet had already disappeared outside. I brushed past my friends, noting that Zack was nowhere to be found. I'd have to hunt him down in a minute, though. I was too determined to leave this animosity between Violet and I be any longer.

She leaned against the warehouse, her cell phone illuminating her features in a white-blue glow. She was most likely waiting on Matt to pull the car around. Which, knowing our lot situation, meant that he'd rather park a few blocks away and walk rather than hope for a spot in the extremely full lot. That bought me a good ten minutes, and I wasn't sure if I was anxious or grateful for it.

"Violet..." I called out to her, without any malice or anger in my tone. I didn't want to cause a big blow-up immediately. More of a soft burn, one that might not extend into full flame.

"I don't have anything to say to you," she muttered immediately, her attention still on her Twitter feed.

"Well, we both know that's a lie," I scoffed, crossing my arms against my chest. "And I've got some things to say to you. So, let's hash it out. Right here, right now."

She stared me down, her usual inviting gray eyes like two orbs of solid steel. One wrong move and I was sure of it, looks absolutely would begin to kill. Even so, she bit. "Fine, Andi. What is it?"

"Why do you care so much?" I asked, the most burning question in my inventory then. Desperation and annoyance swirled in my tone. "You were my best friend, and now you're looking at me like I'm the Devil Incarnate. We keep doing this same song and dance, and I'm sick of it."