Twenty Six: Can't Hold Back

********************************************************************************************

"Oh, I should've eaten before I came here," I muttered as I washed my hands in the bar's bathroom, already feeling the effects of the drinks I downed quickly, hastily. That fuzzy, buzzed feeling had taken over my brain, and although I was already bold tonight, I felt as though that my inebriation would only encourage that confidence further.

I gave myself a lazy once-over in the mirror and carefully dabbed at my lips with a tissue, hoping to erase any smudges caused by careless disregard as I sipped my beer. Satisfied, I turned on my heel and exited the bathroom. My new mission was to scout out any seats inside, either bar or table, while Zack retrieved the drinks. He got the easy job, I thought to myself as I squinted through the darkness. We're too late. Everyone is taking advantage of the central heating now.

"Hey, beautiful," a man to my right called out then. "You here alone? You're welcome to come sit with us if you are."

I rolled my eyes and continued scanning the crowd, hoping that I'd either find a seat or Zack would find me before this guy tried to shoot his shot. No such luck, however.

"You look like a model, you know," the man shouted down to me, suddenly at my side. I jumped back immediately and gave him a dirty look.

"Not interested," I shouted back, relieved as my vision finally adjusted to the lowlighting, where I finally spotted Zacky.

"Oh, come on, Red," he slurred, following after me as I began to make a beeline for Zack, who finally pushed through to the bar to order and pay for our tab. "I'm fucking great!"

"Listen, Kappa-Gamma-Phi, I'm sure your mother tells you that every morning," I retorted quickly, "But I'm here with someone. Even if I weren't, I still wouldn't be interested."

I finally reached Zack and softly tapped on his shoulder to gain his attention. He had just finished signing the receipt for the night and seemed like he'd had something to say until he saw my face and the creep close behind.

"Ugh, we're 0-2 tonight," I complained as he pulled me closer to him. I picked up my drink and sipped it gratefully.

"No kidding. You look freaked, are you alright?" he asked, his gaze fixed on the guy who now stood five feet away. Kappa gestured toward us and mouthed an obscenity to one of his friends.

"I will be if he stays far away," I replied, returning my focus to Zack. "I also couldn't find a table, so, my apologies."

"Not a big deal. We're leaving soon, anyways."

"Hey, Red!" Kappa called out again, beginning to approach us again. "What the fuck is your problem, anyway?"

Immediately, he picked up his whiskey and slammed it back before turning around. "What's your problem, man? Can't take no for an answer?" Zack called back, moving in front of me protectively.

"What's wrong with your bitch, huh?"

"Hey, get your friend before I kick his ass," Zack called out to Kappa's fraternity brothers. Immediately, another tall guy began to pull Kappa away and spouted apologies on his behalf, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You're not gonna do shit," Kappa taunted, breaking free of his friend's grip and getting into Zack's face.

"Oh no," I murmured, beginning to steel myself. The last thing he needed was to pick up Nicholas in a couple of days with a black eye from a stupid bar-fight, all because I got hassled by some dumbass. It wasn't worth it.