aura

tyler decided he would eat ice cream more often.

sure, he still felt hungry, but it was nice to spend time with josh nonetheless. he was sweet, and very funny, and he made tyler feel alright for the time being.

like he wasn't alone again.

now, they were on the seesaw at the playground across the street, a few kids with their parents around. tyler laughed in excitement whenever josh would push down on the seat, returning the movements every time.

"everybody looks so weird." tyler commented, seeing all sorts of auras around him.

"what do you mean?" josh asked, pushing down on the seat again and smiling when tyler giggled, surprised by it.

"i could see everyone's auras. they're so different. lots of kids are blue, some adults are purple and yellow. it tells me how they're feeling, it's cool."

"what color do you see for me?" josh asked, curious.

"you're like a..." tyler squinted, seeing a mix of colors. "magenta. blue-green magenta."

josh made a face. "what does that mean?"

"that you're feeling all types of stuff." tyler shrugged.

"what do the colors mean?" he asked again.

"blue usually means you're a little sad or upset about something. green is when you're happy about something, like when you're spending time with your vampire friend," josh rolled his eyes, "magenta means that you might be attracted towards something or someone. it could be a hobby, or a favorite pet. whatever."

"does everyone have a mix of colors?" josh asked, completely disregarding tyler's explanation.

"some people do. it's different."

"is that bad?"

"no. it's one of the best ones out there." he smiled, making josh feel a little better.

he'd always been called "different", sometimes "weird".

usually they weren't meant to be compliments.

"is that how you see people you need to stay away from?" josh asked.

"like...the ones i was looking out for yesterday?" tyler asked, tilting his head slightly.

"yeah. what if you see another vampire?" josh asked.

"they give off a red one. i'm pretty sure red means they're fantasy-related. either that, or google is trash."

josh laughed, tyler noticing the deep creases in his cheeks when he did so. he wished he had nice teeth like josh did. instead, his own could barely fit in his mouth.

he was snapped out of his thoughts when josh pushed down on the seesaw, hard, making tyler lose his balance and begin to slide forward. his eyes blew wide as he tried to catch his footing, but instead slid straight into josh with a thud. he felt the vibrations in his chest when josh chuckled, holding onto him so that he wouldn't fall either.

"whoa. you're clumsy, killjoy."

"you're...too strong." tyler frowned, pulling back slightly.

"thank you."

"that wasn't supposed to be a compliment!" tyler said, furrowing his eyebrows in mock anger.

josh just rolled his eyes with a smile, tyler huffing and leaning on josh again. he was tired, all this exercise here at the park after ice cream wore him out.

"i need a nap." tyler said, shutting his eyes against josh's chest.

"all we did was play on the seesaw. don't you do more at night?"