glowing eyes

note: final chapter !!! ahh
------------------------------------

josh breathed out, fogging up around his nose.

nothing but chirps of the night and the crunching of grass underneath their footsteps was heard, a sheet of silence over them. tyler had the hive in his sights, his mind set. he's never done something like this, and if he was being honest, he was scared.

he was scared that they might get to one of them.

josh set the gasoline and matches by the dark house neighboring the nest, hoping that they wouldn't wake up to see what was going on. the paint had been chipping away by erosion, exposing the decaying wood underneath. tyler could see red auras moving around through the openings in the wall, heightening his fear even further.

josh was shaking.

he was terrified, the only thing making him feel better was that he'd be outside. his job was to light it, but still. it freaked him out, especially with the extra blade he had next to him for protection.

tyler sighed, his hand trembling around the machete he was holding, the moon light reflecting off of it. he stood in front of the neighboring house, chewing on his bottom lip.

"we'll be fine. don't freak out." tyler said, looking at josh.

josh looked at the house, then to tyler. "promise me you'll be safe."

tyler held his pinky up, waiting for josh. josh did the same, sighing and wrapping his pinky around tyler's.

"pinky promise." tyler said, glancing at the house. "if i don't open the window in thirty minutes...run."

josh nodded, tyler unhooking their pinkies and biting the inside of his lip. they stared at each other, knowing exactly what they said to one another if they were to speak. josh leaned forwards, kissing tyler with his hands on his neck. it was hard, tyler's nose smushed in between them, but he couldn't care less. he wrapped his fingers around josh's wrist, pulling back slightly, his eyes still shut.

"i'll see you." he whispered, letting go of josh's wrist, kissing his forehead before leaving.

josh swallowed, watching tyler walk towards the old house. he hid behind the wall of the neighboring house, tyler shutting the door behind him. josh eventually went back to where he was when he thought he'd be fine, sitting lowly in the grass of the neighboring house and watching with weary eyes.

===

"tyler? nice to see you back." one of them said upon hearing the front door open, smiling smugly at him.

her eyes were yellow, but her teeth were bloody, as if she had already eaten for the night. the living room was empty, tyler assuming everyone was out or scattered around different parts of the house. it was old, but like most of the house on this block, huge. he adjusted the strap of his backpack, the gasoline making it a little heavy. his fingers curled around the handle of the blade, needing to make this quick otherwise he'd be screwed.

"nice sword. did you kill someone with it tonight?" she asked, tilting her head.

"not yet." tyler said, and using all of the courage he could muster, he swung the machete quickly through her neck.

he swallowed down a lump in his throat, squeezing his eyes shut and trying to figure out what the hell he got himself into. he saw her head and her body separated, blood seeping into the old wood of the floor.

"holy shit." he whispered, staring at her.

he was trembling, using his free hand to wipe his face of blood spatter before moving into the kitchen. he tapped his fingers on the bottle of holy water in his pocket, beginning to gain a little confidence in himself, and the full moon pouring through cracks in the wood and windows was helping.