His Mistake

Effortless bickering awoke me from an unconscious rest.

"Y/N will turn out just the same! You don't know-" I heard Sans' voice.

"SHUT IT SANS! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! Y/N ISN'T LIKE HER! SHE TRUSTS ME MORE THAN THAT HUMAN TRASH!" Papyrus shouted coldly. "Y/N WON'T BETRAY ME LIKE SHE DID. I'LL PROVE IT TO YOU, BROTHER."

I looked around and saw I was on the shredded couch in the skeletons' home. The two were fighting in the kitchen. I stood up and gazed at the bandages around my wounds. They stung like flame, but I quickly pushed the pain out of my head and limped into the kitchen.

"OH REALLY NOW? YOU'RE SAYING THAT Y/N IS GOING TO LITERALLY TRY TO MURDER ME? SHE LOVES ME, SANS. I LOVE HER MORE THAN THAT PEASANT."

I spoke up behind him. "W-What's going on here...?"

Papyrus whipped around to face me, surprised and furious. Sans just grinned behind him. "Hey, the kid's awake."

"Y/N! YOU SHOULDN'T BE UP AND WALKING. GO BACK-"

"Who were you talking about?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

Papyrus remained silent for a while.

"Just tell her, Boss. If you love her so much, tell her why you've gotten soft," Sans shrugged.

Papyrus grabbed me by my collar and pulled me toward the couch, forcing me down onto the shredded cushions.

"LOOK, Y/N...."

There was a time, years ago, when I was the greatest guard there was. Like I was the king of Snowdin. Every monster was afraid of me. I've killed, harmed, attacked, and bossed them around. But one day, a human fell into the Underground. I easily captured her, but one time, as I was feeding her, she told me she had grown feelings for me. I didn't necessarily have the same feelings for her, but we accepted each other's company. Every day, we talked and discussed my evil habits. She made me soft. We walked around Snowdin and I taught her a couple of battle moves too. Every night, we would bring her back to her prison in the shed and let her sleep. The more guilty I felt about keeping a human secret from the monsters, the less feelings I had for her. One day, I decided not to show up, and I heard nothing of her for the days following. A week later of Sans being the one bringing her food, I went to check on her, but she was gone. Sans had no idea where she was either. Turns out, she escaped through one of the uneven bars of her cell and told the entire Underground of my decisions before being ambushed and killed. The Royal Guard gave me one more chance to prove that I have commitment. Just a few years after reclaiming my reputation, you came down here.

"I DIDN'T WANT THAT SAME BETRAYAL. I KNEW THAT IF I WERE TO GET ON YOUR BAD SIDE, I'D BE DUST. I DECIDED TO BE SOFTER ON YOU, HOPING YOU WOULDN'T TELL EVERYONE HOW I REPEATED MY MISTAKES," he concluded.

I stared at him. "So let me get this straight. You were an absolute monster to this girl. She brought happiness into your life, and you became soft and trusting. She then told the Underground about your softness and how she was not turned in by you. You decided to remain soft around me because you thought I would have nothing to say since the soft you is the only you I would know. Right?"

"YEAH, THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT. SHE NEVER LOVED ME, WHICH IS WHY I'M AFRAID OF BEING WITH YOU."

"You're afraid of something? The Great and Terrible Papyrus is afraid of a human?" I mocked playfully.

"SHUT UP, OR I'LL CLAW YOUR EYES OUT."

"Alright, relax, Boss... I trust you. I really do love you. Like, not as a family or a friend. Something more. I won't ever betray you if you don't betray me first," I said, laying back down on the couch, staring into his skull.

"I LOVE YOU TOO, Y/N," he whispered as he gently kissed the side of my head.

Sans sighed and stepped outside. Shouts and battle cries could be heard from beyond the front door.

"The Temmies are helping... I don't know what you two did but it helped drastically. We might actually win this war," Sans chuckled, slamming the door.

A red, glowing bone appeared and Sans dodged just in time as it swiftly flew across the room and crashed into the wall beside him.

"So, what are we going to do?" I asked. "We're going to go back out and fight, right?"

"WHAT? IN YOUR CONDITION? NOT YET," he answered simply.

"But I'm a great warrior! I can fight them off! I can help! I can walk and swing my arms!" I pushed as I dramatically swung my arms as if I was thrusting a sword into the stomach of my opponent. "Please let me back out there."

He pondered for a moment. Then he walked out of the room and up the staircase into his room. When he came back a few minutes later, he was holding my bow and a couple of arrows, as well as a spear and two swords. He handed me my bow, arrows, and a sword. He equipped the other sword and spear.

"LET'S GO."