Never let you go

Betty was terrified. She had no idea why - she was used to having Veronica stay in her house and sleep in her bed and climb out the bay window the next morning - but this was different. As she walked through the halls of the Lodge family home, with their chandeliers and expensive glass furniture, she saw how elegant and beautiful everything about Veronica was; and yet, she wanted Betty. She wanted her to be a part of all of this. Betty tried to quash the spring in her step as she thought of this while bringing her sleepover snacks to her girlfriend's room.

'Ronnie, I've got - oh god, I'm so sorry, I...I should have knocked.' Betty retreated from the room like lightning and leaned back against the wall. The image she'd just seen of Veronica, gently pulling off her satiny black dress to reveal her flawless skin played on repeat in her mind.

'Bets?' Veronica's voice sounded through the door, quieter than usual, fragile. 'You can come in - if...if you want.' Betty slowly pushed open the door, trying to ignore the heat rising in her cheeks.

'I didn't mean to walk in on you like that,' she promised, but Veronica didn't say anything. She was sat at her dresser, one leg crossed over the other, gazing up at Betty with those haunting dark eyes. Her underwear and her pearl necklace were all she'd left on.

'Well say something,' Veronica demanded. 'Because, you know, I don't wanna rush you. If you're not into this, I'll put on something else and we'll watch a dumb teen movie and fall asleep like we normally do. I swear.' Betty sat her tray down on Veronica's bedside table and slowly walked over to her.

'I never said I wasn't into it,' Betty said quietly. Veronica rose to her feet, fiddling with one of her pearls. She pressed a soft kiss to Betty's lips, letting her taste the milkshake they'd drunk earlier. She tangled her hands in Veronica's hair as she sank further into their encounter, ignoring everything else, just wanting to feel. She wanted this. She wanted Veronica.

'I love you, Betty,' Veronica said softly.

'I love you too.' Before long Veronica was kissing her again. Betty ran her hands over the jawline of her friend - her girlfriend - while she undid the golden buttons of Betty's blouse and eased the soft fabric over her skin. She hovered there, feeling a little overexposed but hardly caring, as Veronica sat down on the soft sheets of her bed.

'You're so beautiful,' Veronica whispered in a voice heady with want. She wrapped the blouse around Betty's neck like a scarf and brought her down to her level with it, pulling her onto the queen-size bed. God, this was actually happening. She was with Ronnie, safe, kissing her without freaking out over other people finding out. So what was she so insecure about?

'I’ve never done this before,’ Betty whispered,the words lingering in the summer air. Veronica gave a musical laugh.

'I know, Bets, you don’t have to say that every time we…you know, do stuff. I don’t mind.’

'Really?’

'Of course not!’ Veronica’s smile before then was sweet, loving, but as she looked down at Betty’s body a sultry smile shone from her face. 'I kinda like that. I can make your first ride on the rollercoaster one you’ll never forget.’

'The Ronnie Rollercoaster, yeah?’ Betty teased. She tried to keep her gaze fixed on Veronica, even while her cheeks turned the colour of the diner seats at Pops. 'Sounds like a fun ride.’

'Oh, Bets, you angel…’ Veronica punctuated her words by kissing her, hard. Her delicately manicured fingers traced the line of Betty’s jaw, gently cupping her face as her tongue brushed her lips. Before long, Betty’s hands were tangled in the dark-haired girl’s hair and she was moaning into the kiss. She wasn’t ashamed of it anymore. She was allowed to feel like this, allowed to make her feelings known.