Six

A month later

McGee POV

I rolled out of bed, exhausted. We had been working a case and had pulled a near all nighter to solve it. I stretched, then walked into the kitchen to get coffee and greet Delilah. I told her I was going into the office, but really the team and I were meeting to finalize details and get into position because today, I was finally proposing to Delilah.

An hour later, I walked into the bullpen to find Olivia, Abby, Ziva, Tony, Gibbs, and Sean excitedly discussing the day's events.

"...and then, after lunch, we'll take her to the cute little gazebo in the park where McGee will be waiting with flowers and the ring." Liv was saying.

"But what will we tell her about McGee?" Ziva asked.

"I've got that covered." I said, walking up behind Liv and resting my hands on the handles of Liv's wheelchair. Tony wheeled out of the way to let me in and Gibbs adjusted his chair, too. "I've told her that you guys were going to take her to lunch because you wanted a chance to catch up with her and you knew that I had a meeting with Vance and then I was going downtown to visit a 'sick cousin.'" I said, making air quotes. "Which is, in fact, totally plausible because I have a ton of cousins."

"Oh, this is so exciting!" Abby said.

"I still feel bad that you guys are in wheelchairs." I said to Liv, Gibbs, and Tony.

"It's fine, kid. The restaurant is totally wheelchair friendly." Gibbs said.

"Just get the girl, McGeek." Tony said. I leaned down to hug him, and then we all went on our separate ways to get ready.

I stopped at the florist first, then, when I knew Delilah was out of the apartment, got the ring from a hidden compartment I'd rigged up in my gun safe. Then it was off to the gazebo in the park to set up. About an hour and a half later, I got the text from Abby. They were on their way.

I waited anxiously for the van to pull up. Finally, it did, and Liv wheeled out down the ramp that extended from the side, now that Vance had upgraded all the vans to be wheelchair friendly.

Finally, Delilah rolled out. Liv motioned for Delilah to follow her. She rolled up to the gazebo and stopped, giving me a huge grin before rolling out of the way to let Delilah up the ramp.

"What's going on?" Delilah asked, smiling up at me, puzzled.

"Delilah," I started, "When you first came into my life, I knew I had found someone who would always understand, who'd always care. I didn't know that I had found someone I would want to spend the rest of my life with, not at first. But soon, I came to realize I couldn't live without you. After the explosion, I didn't care that you were paralyzed. It didn't cause the massive amount of love I have for you to diminish. But it did make me realize fully that you helped me to be the best version of myself. When I thought I was going to lose you, it broke me. My heart was shattered. But then you pulled through. You were wheelin' and dealin' your way further and further into my heart. And I want to keep letting you do that, because it helps me to stay strong." I took a deep breath as I pulled out the ring and got down on one knee. Delilah gasped.

"Delilah Fielding," I started. Delilah was already nodding. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" she breathed, hardly able to speak over her tears. "Oh, Tim, yes!"

I slid the ring onto her finger and it fit perfectly. I hugged Delilah tight, tears beginning to fall down my cheeks. I heard clapping, and looked over to thank the team. They were all beaming.

"Thank you so much." I said, standing. I looked down at Delilah. "I love you." I said.

"Love you more." she answered.