ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ɪᴛ's ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇsᴇ ᴛᴀʙʟᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀᴇᴅ

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ɪᴛ's ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇs ᴛᴀʙʟᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀᴇᴅ

ᴡᴀɴɴᴀ ᴛʀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ, sᴡᴇᴇᴛʜᴇᴀʀᴛ?

❝ ᴡᴀɴɴᴀ ᴛʀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ, sᴡᴇᴇᴛʜᴇᴀʀᴛ? ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

   "OH MY GOD," YOU GASPED, RECOILING FOR A MOMENT BEFORE LEANING BACK IN. "Is that...?"

"In all of his star-spangled glory," Agent Hill confirmed, exhaling as she joined you in peeking inside. "Captain Steve Rogers."

"I thought he died during his battle with Hydra in the 40s?"

"Yeah, so did we," she muttered, "But it turns out he's still kicking. Albeit while frozen. Your dad was actually the one who found him."

"Really?" You looked at her, trying to determine if she was telling the truth or not. As far as you could tell, she was. "I never heard about that."

"It's not public knowledge," an authoritative voice sounded from behind you, and you both spun around to be met with The Director; Brendon stood next to him.

"Not yet, anyway. We're still working on trying to, well, thaw him out," Fury chuckled softly, "There's only a handful of people who know about this. Now that handful includes you."

You pinched the bridge of your nose and closed your eyes, having a hard time processing everything. "So my dad really did pull him out of the water?"

"Well, I was there too," he pointed out, making you smile, "but yes, it's mostly due to your old man that we have a frozen Captain America in our lab."

"Wow."

"Indeed. That wasn't all he found, either." Fury reached into his pocket and pulled out his smartphone. He tapped on it a few times before handing it over to you.

You took the device and examined the screen. It was a picture of a glowing, blue cube.

"What is this?" you questioned, looking more closely.

"That's what we're trying to find out."

✧ ✧ ✧

Chestertown, Maryland. Three weeks later.

"You aren't actually serious about this," you scoffed in disbelief as Brendon kept a firm grip on your arm, making sure you stayed as close to him as possible and keeping an eye out for any behaviour that seemed questionable.

"Yes, actually, I am. Last time we were here, you had a panic attack. Who knows what'll happen this time round?"

"Brendon, it's dinner with my friends. Whom I've known for years. If one of them was a Hydra agent, I'm pretty sure I would've been dead already."