ᎄʜᎀ᎘᎛ᎇʀ ғᎏ᎜ʀ: ᮀ ᎛ᎇʀʀɪʙʟᎇ ᎄʀᎀsʜ

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ: ᴀ ᴛᴇʀʀɪʙʟᴇ ᴄʀᴀsʜ

ɪ'ᴍ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴍɪssɪᴏɴ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ; ʏᴏᴜ sᴀɪᴅ ɪᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ. ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

                              ALMOST TWO MONTHS HAD PASSED SINCE THE ATTACK AT THE BAR. As far as S.H.I.E.L.D could tell, there hadn't been any activity at all on Hydra's part, let alone activity that suggested another attack.

It was quiet.

"Too quiet," the Director muttered as he ran his hand over his mouth, the other gripping the back of his chair. "I'm exponentially concerned, Urie. When it comes to Hydra, quiet is never good."

"You think they're planning another attack on her, sir?"

"I don't think, Agent. I know. And I know that when they go through with it, it won't be some middle-school play; it'll be a full on Broadway spectacle, and we have to be prepared for opening night."

"I can assure you that her safety is and will continue to be my number one priority, sir. Whatever it takes."

"I'm aware. You're my best agent, Urie; you've always made your missions the only source of your focus, and I assigned you to her for exactly that reason. I don't doubt you for one second," Fury walked out from behind his desk and started pacing around the room. "No, it's her that I'm worried about. She doesn't seem to fully comprehend the extremity of the danger she's in, and that could prove to be detrimental to us all. That's actually the reason I called you in; I need you to talk to her. Explain the severity of the situation and try to get her to conform accordingly."

Brendon's shoulders shook as he chuckled slightly, gaze fixed on the floor before straightening up again and pursing his lips as he looked at the Director. "Sir, I really don't think I should be the one to talk to her. I'm not exactly her, uh, favourite person."

"Then become her favourite person," Fury said, raising both eyebrows at the man who stood at ease in front of him. "You're already with her almost every moment of every day; assigning someone else to talk to her would be pointless, not to mention a waste of resources."

"Sir-"

"That's an order, Agent."

Brendon reluctantly gave a curt nod. "Yes, sir."

"Excellent. Now, before things get bad, we have to familiarise ourselves with the enemy more than we already have," Fury turned to face the left wall of his glass office, directing his attention there. "Pull up all information we have available on The Asset."