04 | four

[a/n: so this chapter mentions something that is in sm:h, but i don't label it as a spoiler because it's just a cute little thing in the movie, not a super important plot point.]

"so, that spiderman..."

"uh, what about him?" peter's voice was a tad higher than usual, and lucy suspected some nervousness in his tone.

"he's really making a name for himself, don't you think?"

"y-yeah, i guess..." her new acquaintance answered slowly.

"what's up, petey?" lucy smirked. "are you jealous? do you think i'm going to choose spiderman over you as 'best stranger of the month?'"

"no," he said defensively, "of course not." his voice got soft, then, and he added, "would you, though?"

lucy felt a twinge in her heart. "well, considering the fact that you're the only stranger i've talked to more than once...i'm really left with no other options but you."

"oh. okay," peter said, his voice audibly more relaxed, but he still let out a tense laugh. "never mind."

lucy was about to ask another question when she heard his voice again, but this time he wasn't talking to her, he was calling out to someone in the background.

"ned? you're here already?" she heard him say frantically, obviously caught off his guard. "yes, i know it's the death star and it has, like, a million pieces...fine, fine, come on in. just give me a second."

lucy held back a grin. so that was ned, the guy he'd been trying to call when he accidentally dialed her number.

"i'll talk to you later, peter," she said sweetly, but then she heard ned's excited voice.

"is that her? that's her, isn't it? the girl you told me about, the one that likes telemarketers? lucy, right? that's her name?"

peter's panicked tone filled lucy's ears again, her mouth hanging open in shock. "ned, shut up! can't you keep your mouth shut at all?" then his voice was closer to her ear, talking directly to her. "sorry about that," he rushed, "that was just ned."

"you talk about me, huh?" she smiled, enjoying the way she could always get him riled up. "i didn't realize we were there already. but, i mean," she added with a mischievous grin, "if you're doing it, then i'll just have to tell liz and the girls - "

"liz? do you mean - okay, fine, ned, i'm coming," peter's words were rushed and...surprised? "okay, see you later, lucy."

"talk to you later, pete," lucy answered. "bye."

[a/n: this chapter was kinda cute but i haven't proofread it so is it actually cute or am i just a loser that can't write for shat]