24 | twenty-four

[a/n: yayyy another chapter! and i have (get this) NO homework tonight!!! so i'll either publish two chapters tonight or just this one and read for the next few hours. you never know.]

"hey, luce," peter said, running a hand through his hair nervously. "it's me."

lucy's eyes flew to her bedroom door, her shoulders holding tension as she anticipated her mother to call out for her. realizing it was closed and she was probably in the clear, she turned back slowly and stared peter in the face—a boy she'd only ever seen three or four times.

"what the hell are you talking about?" she hissed.

peter's joyous smile faltered. "i'm...s-spiderman." he pointed to the insignia on his chest. "see?"

lucy cocked an eyebrow. "that's a funny joke, pete."

"joke?" he looked confused. "no, this is real. see, i can—" excited, he cut off his own sentence and proceeded to reach up a hand to the ceiling, pulling his feet up so he was perched on the ceiling of lucy's room.

she rubbed her eyes and blinked, much like a disbelieving cartoon character. "what? okay, come down, you're gonna hurt yourself."

peter chuckled lightly. "see, that's why i've slipped so many things!" he held out his hands to the side.

"because, what...you've been saving the world from bike thieves?" lucy narrowed her eyes in skepticism.

"yeah, and there's this crazy vulture dude, and..." peter trailed off, and then cleared his throat, putting his hand on his hips. when he spoke again, he'd pitched his voice lower to convey authority(it was rather amusing to the listener). "i...i should probably keep this confidential," he said.

"yeah, okay, spiderboy," lucy rolled her eyes with a grin.

"you're not taking this seriously." it wasn't a question.

"well, how am i supposed to take it?" lucy three her hands up in the air. "you show up at my apartment, which i don't even know how that worked out—"

"i looked at the student directory," he interrupted.

"and then you just happen to be wearing a really good costume, and—"

"it's not a costume, it's a suit."

"and above all that, you're claiming to be spiderman? peter, you have to understand how crazy this sounds." lucy stood up and combed her fingers through her hair.

"i know, i know, but it's true. um...maybe i could show you?" he reached out a red-gloved hand, but lucy didn't grab it.

"what, you're just gonna make me hold your hand and then my life is gonna change, and then i'll believe you? what fantasy novel is this?"

"it's not, it's real. now come on," he stepped forward and pulled her by the hand to the window, "it's time you get a proper view of queens!"

[a/n: this whole breaking the news thing is going on for more chapters than i expected but that's just bc i don't like writing long chapters so woops]